You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Publisher text to other applications

I produce paper-based newsletters, articles and talks which I need to repost to other applications and web pages. I have done this for a long time using Adobe InDesign with very few problems. I also very occasionally want to republish a document in InDesign, mainly if a printer won't accept a PDF or an APUB file. Most of these files would be of 1500 - 3000 words.

Because other programs handle the relationship between text and graphics very differently, I think it would be accepted that any graphics to transfer into a new application will need to be placed manually.

The way Affinity Publisher creates paragraph breaks is a considerable nuisance when repurposing any document of more than a couple of hundred words. Many applications ignore the paragraph break (LF/CR) symbol entirely, so that 3000 words are turned into one long paragraph, or the symbol is read as a non-searchable "graphic" as shown: 
. Either way, the only export solution is a lengthy re-edit of the exported file. It is quite a nuisance!

The solutions seem to me to be either that a more standard method of creating an LF/CR be adopted in Publisher, or that some exporting filter be created, perhaps as a plug-in, which will detect the Publisher symbol and replace it with a standard LF/CR character within a text or RTF file. 

The way that paragraph breaks are (not) pasted into other applications surprised me just a couple of hours ago. I didn't find a quick workaround yet (like inserting Shift+Return or lines with whitespace; those won't appear when I paste the text). Does anybody have an idea?

Copy-paste works (almost) as expected from Publisher to Word. Paragraphs behave as like they should. 

What is unexpected is that scandies get translated to ‰ and ˆ. That is good old fashioned encode error. I would think all apps would understand UTF8.

This is with OS X Mojave.

Copy/paste also works into LibreOffice Writer.

57 minutes ago, Fixx said:

scandies

Is that an odd auto-correct problem, or a term I don't know?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Scandies

Is that an odd auto-correct problem, or a term I don't know?

I always thought it was someone from Scandinavia! :D

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 hours ago, Peter Green said:

Word/ Writer are the two I rarely use.

I would think that if you want to get large amounts of text out of Publisher you would want to move it to a word processor.

Gotta tell I also tried Libre Office which works perfect, no problems with either paragraph marks nor scandies encoding.