You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pinning settings not copied with object

1) Create new file with three paragraphs of text

2) import graphic and pin it to first paragraph, choose some settings (e.g. left aligned)

3) Import another graphic, pin it into the second paragraph, change setting (e.g. RIGHT aligned)

4) Select and copy the pinned graphic from first paragraph to clipboard and …

5) … paste it into a third paragraph of text

RESULT:
The copied graphic will adopt the last used pinning settings (in our example aligned to the RIGHT from the second graphic) and not the settings from the originally copied graphic (aligned LEFT)

EXPECTED RESULT:
When copying and pasting an object, I would expect all settings, including pinning position, to be copied with it

• Staff

Thanks, I'm not completely sure if we should be copying that pinning information over, but either way the fact it defaults to last used means it would be a nice improvement if it did.

I've logged this

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Actually it seems to work fine as is, because it gives two options: either copy/paste pin object incl. setting – or pin object only but according to custom settings.

It depends on the tool you select to copy: Text or Move Tool.

When using the text tool for selection + copy and then, still with text tool, paste it at a different spot in same or another text frame then it copies the pins' property, too (for instance left or right).

When using move tool to copy and switch to text tool then you leave the pin options window (it gets empty) and then it pastes the object without its setting but according to the custom (or default) setting in the pin options window. If you alter that setting before copy/paste then a copy gets pasted according to that altered setting.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Two ways to copy/paste a pinned object with or without its settings in pin option panel:

Unfortunately there still seems to be a bug: To edit a pin setting after placing it appears not possible with the options panel: an altering choice is ignored:

Thanks, I believe I copied it the wrong way, then ... I normally select it with the move tool (need just the image / graphic) for copying and then insert it with the text tool at the position I want it pinned to. Need to adjust my workflow …

How did you find out how to do this, is it explained in the help file?

Indeed the Move tool is more appealing for the selection. With Text tool it is hard to select because the marker has no width, so you can't see whether you have select it – and you want make sure not to select any space before and after. Would be nice if it would change color for instance if it is selected.

I started with try and error. First I was confused by different results. That made me investigate more and detect the role of the tool. Oh, I most often forget the help, stupid me! I'd love to read the complete help as a printed book, make notes in the margins and pin pages. On screen for me the Help appears hard to handle.

I wonder why the Affinity Help is not available as a reference book, or as PDF at least, to print it myself.