You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer Startup Time …

I am using Designer 1.7.2. My question is: WHY does it take so long to OPEN? Most times there's no splash screen to indicate it's opening. The Dock icon displays the flash-y black triangle beneath the AD logo, but no splash screen appears, no document creation page opens; there's just - NOTHING. My machine is a Mac Pro (G5 desktop) with 1TB internal HD (SPODs), i7 Xeon 'Nehelem' quadcore chipset, 12GB RAM, and 775GB free space. My I'net connexion is 180 Mbps. I xfer most of my work to external HDs so as to keep its desktop open. Designer should open in a flash! It doesn't.

Can someone please tell me why this is? Three-to-five-minute waits are not uncommon. It is now going beyond simple annoyance and approaching genuine P.I.T.A. territory. One immediate effect is to make me question whether I really want to proceed with the purchase of Photos and Publisher. If they're as annoyingly slow to open as Designer, that may be put on hold. To be sure, once Designer makes up its tiny electronic 'mind' to allow access to its features, it's great. It's just getting past the 'snotty teenager' behavior trying to get it to open. I'd also like to know why there's no splash screen displayed during opening to at least give me a hint it's trying to do something.

As 'FWIW' information, I activated my currently-installed full version from the TRIAL version at expiry. I still have the 1.7.1 .dmg in an XHD folder if needed. 

All input appreciated.

Mac Pro (Mid-2010) G5, 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon i7; macOS ‘Sierra,’ 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770; S271HL Acer Display (1920 x 1080); Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher 1.10.8, Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6, InDesign CS6, QuarkXpress 9.5.4.1, ON1 RAW 2020, Portrait Professional Studio64, Topaz Labs Suite, Nik Collection, LibreOffice; separate Western Digital external HDs for storage  

Proudly Wearing the Shame of ThoughtCrime …

7 hours ago, Dr_No said:

WHY does it take so long to OPEN?

My start:

ADesigner - 00:00:13, next start is only 00:00:06.

APhoto - 00:00:12.

APublisher - 00:00:11.

Try Factory reset (start with Ctrl/Cmd), or reinstall.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

5 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Try Factory reset (start with Ctrl/Cmd), or reinstall.

In most cases Ctrl on Windows is equivalent to Cmd on Mac, but in this particular case the same key is used on both platforms: if you hold down the Ctrl key while launching the app, the ‘Clear User Data’ dialog will appear.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

1. How many other apps are open when you launch Affinity Designer?
  2. How many fonts are installed on your Mac?
  3. Does the Designer Dock icon hop up & down immediately after you launch the app or is there a delay before that happens (if it does at all)?
  4. Which version of the Mac OS are you running?
  5. If you right-click on the Dock icon & select Options > "Show in Finder" is the window that opens the root level Applications folder on your startup drive, or a subfolder of that folder or a folder in any other location?
  6. Do you run any third party add-on 'helpers' or 'enhancers' or 'shortcuts' that could affect launching apps, even indirectly?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 minutes ago, R C-R said:

How many fonts are installed on your Mac?

OP write

10 hours ago, Dr_No said:

Most times there's no splash screen to indicate it's opening.

So I suppose OP has some problem that will not be related to font loading. These are not loaded until the Splash screen is displayed, see message "Font loading ...".

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

41 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

So I suppose OP has some problem that will not be related to font loading. These are not loaded until the Splash screen is displayed, see message "Font loading ...".

That does not happen on my Mac. The splash screen only shows after the fonts have loaded, the Dock icon quits hopping up & down, & (I think) a few other 'sanity checks' have been done.

Maybe this is a Mac vs. Windows difference?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, R C-R said:
  • How many other apps are open when you launch Affinity Designer?
  • How many fonts are installed on your Mac?
  • Does the Designer Dock icon hop up & down immediately after you launch the app or is there a delay before that happens (if it does at all)?
  • Which version of the Mac OS are you running?
  • If you right-click on the Dock icon & select Options > "Show in Finder" is the window that opens the root level Applications folder on your startup drive, or a subfolder of that folder or a folder in any other location?
  • Do you run any third party add-on 'helpers' or 'enhancers' or 'shortcuts' that could affect launching apps, even indirectly?

1. No other apps are open.

2. Fonts: Approx. 4K +/ - (This does not affect Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign or QuarkXpress' opening time and splash screen display.)

3. No icon for any of my apps 'hops' - a black triangle flashes beneath the app's icon and turns black when the app is ready to use.

4. OS X 'Sierra.' Other tech specs are in my original posting.

5. Root level Applications folder.

6. Can you be more specific as to the type of '3rd-party-helper,' 'enhancer,' etc to which you refer?

Mac Pro (Mid-2010) G5, 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon i7; macOS ‘Sierra,’ 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770; S271HL Acer Display (1920 x 1080); Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher 1.10.8, Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6, InDesign CS6, QuarkXpress 9.5.4.1, ON1 RAW 2020, Portrait Professional Studio64, Topaz Labs Suite, Nik Collection, LibreOffice; separate Western Digital external HDs for storage  

There appears to be something corrupted in your user library folder.

What happens if you boot as a different user, possibly a new one? Does Affinity launch faster there?

22 minutes ago, Dr_No said:

6. Can you be more specific as to the type of '3rd-party-helper,' 'enhancer,' etc to which you refer?

An easy way to detect such applications you might try "EtreCheck", which does a search through all apps/processes/daemons and marks those in red which might cause troubles. https://etrecheck.com/

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1 only

5 hours ago, thomaso said:

An easy way to detect such applications you might try "EtreCheck", which does a search through all apps/processes/daemons and marks those in red which might cause troubles. https://etrecheck.com/

Did that with Etre Check Pro … everything is as it should be - but I did find some obsolete 32-bit apps I got rid of in the doing ’cos they were PPC.

6 hours ago, Dr_No said:

Fonts: Approx. 4K +/ -

I believe font handling has recently been improved in all of the desktop apps, but 4000 installed fonts is probably still too many. Try deactivating all but a few hundred of them.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

but 4000 installed fonts

I wonder whether they are just in the pool of a font managing app – but not activated indeed.
Otherwise, just scrolling through such a large font menu to select a font whose name does not begin with "A", this would be a pain ... and Dr_No possibly used to wait while working ;)

2 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Otherwise, just scrolling through such a large font menu to select a font whose name does not begin with "A", this would be a pain ... and Dr_No possibly used to wait while working

Of course, if you know the name of the font you want, or its initial letters, you can type them and the list will scroll automatically :)

(But if you're not sure, and need to scroll to see what they look like, then yes, that's a lot of scrolling.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

55 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Of course, if you know the name of the font you want, or its initial letters, you can type them and the list will scroll automatically :)

(But if you're not sure, and need to scroll to see what they look like, then yes, that's a lot of scrolling.)

Bingo! That's exactly how one avoids the dreaded 'Helvetica Crawl' …

57 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Apologies … I neglected to mention after stating that I have 4K +/- fonts installed that only about 1,200 +/- are ACTIVATED. Didn't mean to mislead about that.

2 minutes ago, Dr_No said:

only about 1,200 +/- are ACTIVATED

I assumed the 4K wouldn't. Just curious: do you know all 1,200 by name? If not: do you scroll through the pulldown menu?

8 hours ago, Dr_No said:

3. No icon for any of my apps 'hops' - a black triangle flashes beneath the app's icon and turns black when the app is ready to use.

Sorry, I forgot that in System Preferences > Dock we have the option to "Animate opening applications" or not. (Animate means making the Dock icon hop.) So if yours does not hop it is not in itself a sign of anything being wrong. :$

Affinity Photo 

33 minutes ago, thomaso said:

I assumed the 4K wouldn't. Just curious: do you know all 1,200 by name? If not: do you scroll through the pulldown menu?

Heh. That's funny. Even my Majestique Mega-Memory isn't sufficient to master that ever-changing list. It's hard enough distinguishing them visually …

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Sorry, I forgot that in System Preferences > Dock we have the option to "Animate opening applications" or not. (Animate means making the Dock icon hop.) So if yours does not hop it is not in itself a sign of anything being wrong. :$

Y' know, I never even looked in SysPrefs to see if that was doable. I might make that change just so I have a more noticeable visual on opening any app. Thanks for the heads-up.

Just now, thomaso said:

So how do you distinguish them? Is it by name, as Walt felt to suggest?

I know approximately 50% of my 'go-to' fonts by name. If I know the 'look' I want but can't remember the name, simply highlighting a font (any font) and then using the scroll feature of Apple's 'Mighty Mouse' makes pretty quick work of getting from 'A' to 'wherever' I need to be. If I can't remember a specific name but remember the first letter of its name, I just type in (for example) an 'E' and then scroll until I find what I'm looking for. It's a 'Q&D' (Quick & Dirty') workaround until Perfection arrives.

3 hours ago, thomaso said:

ok. magic mouse doesn't do the trick. it's rather you.

Back brutal to roots: How about launching Affinity in a different user?

No diff. Same for testing in 'Safe Mode' … latest time-to-open (discounting two force quit / restarts for 'Application Not Responding') is 5:35 - that's minutes, not seconds … 

I don't believe it's an issue with HD space, fonts, or anything else. No OTHER app takes anywhere near this long to open. This is unacceptably long …