Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Lack of forum structure will always generate more questions from the initial post when the OP is posing a question from their perspective, the assumption from the OP is we know what {pick a gender} is talking about. Commonality is a nice convenience but most times we still have to ask basic questions to ascertain the app they are using. The hodge podge forum approach is more blur than benefit. I think the prefix option is a good move on post creation, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have this. Not sure this is within the capabilities of the forum app though. 

I'd hate to see a filing cabinet structured like this forum. 


iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - FeedbackInstagram & Flickr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If features request can

8 hours ago, R C-R said:

But once again, the issue is how could that be implemented? IOW, how specifically can this forum be set up so that someone can follow topics that are only about one of the apps?

Same as you follows https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/5-affinity-on-desktop-questions-mac-and-windows/ link,  on Desktop questions Mac and Windows. Each Affinity programs would have there specific link to follow.  Once selected, select option for method and frequency of notifications. That process is in place now for designated forum topics.,


Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Lack of forum structure will always generate more questions from the initial post when the OP is posing a question from their perspective, the assumption from the OP is we know what {pick a gender} is talking about.

Nonsense! It most certainly will not always generate more questions. Like I said, for many questions it does not matter at all which app they are using for the simple reason that all the apps work exactly the same in so many respects, usually to the extent of using the same core code. For others it is obvious from the nature of the question which app they want help with.

7 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I think the prefix option is a good move on post creation, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have this. Not sure this is within the capabilities of the forum app though.

Assuming the forum software can support this, how many prefixes do you think would be required, considering that so many topics apply equally well to all the apps, that some apply equally well to two of them, & that some apply only to one platform? For something like this to do any good, it has to work equally well for both the commonality & the differences among the apps & the platforms.


Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cecil said:

Same as you follows https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/5-affinity-on-desktop-questions-mac-and-windows/ link,  on Desktop questions Mac and Windows. Each Affinity programs would have there specific link to follow.  Once selected, select option for method and frequency of notifications. That process is in place now for designated forum topics.,

You are missing the point. To implement this, there has to be some structure in place that categorizes every topic by the app that it applies to. Otherwise there is nothing to 'link' to. But a great many topics apply equally well to at least two if not all three of the apps, so it is impossible to categorize every topic as if it applied to only one of them.


Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do see your point. Yes a new structure would be necessary. Is it possible that the new forum structure and link will be established when 1) user request specific program question and 2) someone replies to user. The user, if they check "Notify me of replies" or receive replies/notification to specific program(s), receives reply.  If user specifies Publisher and Publisher only, so be it. Users retain option to follow all forums, if that is their preference. I think the link/search data structure can be worked out, just don't know if there is sufficient resources, at this time to do so. At the end of the day, I pray only for tomorrow.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cecil said:

Yes a new structure would be necessary. Is it possible that the new forum structure and link will be established when 1) user request specific program question and 2) someone replies to user. The user, if they check "Notify me of replies" or receive replies/notification to specific program(s), receives reply.  If user specifies Publisher and Publisher only, so be it.

I do not understand how you think this link could be established unless there is some mandatory mechanism in place that forces OP's to select one of the Affinity apps as the most relevant one when they start a new topic. Whether that is by splitting the forum into subforms or by adding some sort of mandatory tagging or prefixing requirement make no difference -- it still requires OP's to decide which app they most want their topic associated with.

"After the fact" linking made by someone replying to the OP is impractical for a number of reasons, not the least of which is users not replying to that topic won't see it as categorized by app.


Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Yes, as the OP and hundreds of others have suggested, divide Affinity on Desktop (Mac and Windows) and iPad into subforms.

I hope the attached photo, demonstrates results we would see when user 1) select the current Affinity on Desktop Questions {Mac and Windows) or 2) select the Affinity program of their choice, from current/future subforum programs.  This would linkI  response back to the OP. 

The end user enjoys the freedom to Follow all, one, two or three and apply personal notifications. The OP initial selection would identified the program choice by name and all viewing could identify the program pertaining to OP question.  

On page one , my second post: “Opinions expressed by many, clearly prefer to bypass this and address specific Affinity Program.” Page one, please see John Rostron post.

Why in the World subject is the voice of many.  The How To Do, developers know how.

 

Image 8-26-19 at 5.57 PM.jpg


Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cecil said:

I hope the attached photo, demonstrates results we would see when user 1) select the current Affinity on Desktop Questions {Mac and Windows) or 2) select the Affinity program of their choice, from current/future subforum programs.

So are you saying the OP can either post to the 'parent' Desktop Questions {Mac and Windows) or to one of its subfolders?

If not, where should OP's post when they either specifically do not want to associate their topic with just one of the apps or their topic is not about any one of them in particular?


Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, R C-R said:

So are you saying the OP can either post to the 'parent' Desktop Questions {Mac and Windows) or to one of its subfolders?

If not, where should OP's post when they either specifically do not want to associate their topic with just one of the apps or their topic is not about any one of them in particular?

If implemented, the choices would be the parent (only option available now) or one of the three Affinity Programs in sub forums.  This may change if Affinity adds additional programs, which would be added to sud forums.  If user has, for example, Affinity Photo problem, they would have choice to post to parent or Affinity Photo forum.  Additionally, they would have choice to follow parent, specific program, or all and set notification of choice. 

 


Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the op I am gratified that others feel the same as myself.  It does appear that separate forums has

been addressed many times in the past with no action taken by Affinity.  Either they don’t care what

some of us might want or they have tunnel vision.  The fact is the Three programs are different and all

users might Only be interested in one of the three.  Oh well I guess I will have to stumble through

the entries to ascertain which apply to Photo, which is a very good program.

R. Burns 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

atlrob, hang in there, my post were for those that felt it would be beneficial to make sub forums for each program.  To be fare, if Affinity did customize to sub forums, I would continue to follow all, for many reasons.  I believe freedom of choice, especially when your bread and butter- customers request repeatedly for the same change, corporate should respond.  It may not be the answer your looking for; however, a definitive position that could be provided by a Affinity moderator.  Enjoy Affinity Photo and never be afraid to post any question. 


Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cecil said:

especially when your bread and butter- customers request repeatedly for the same

Can you give us a number of these "bread and butter-customers" – compared to others?
In this thread I count 5 people arguing for more sub forums. These 5 aren't the bread and butter, are they? Even 15 or 50 wouldn't, compared to all active forums members or the 2 Mio Affinity customers.

You still insist to deny the fact that sub forums will increase the amount of questions for common app topics, which will be asked as duplicates then in up to 3 forums. That increased amount of threads also generates more posts (answers, comments) and therefore demands the Serif team more than now – whereas I don't have the impression at the moment that they have spare time for more of their postings.

Yes, it will be easier for some users. Like it will be disliked by others.
As long there is no real numerical statistic which for instance says...:

"35% of all threads are about crashes" or
"68% are about features in only AfPhoto"

... such a discussion is nice to have but not really useful in its repeating intensity.
I would not be surprised if such statistics exist in the background, led and observed by those responsible.


macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one thread among many, please search, if possible for all. Have a nice day.


Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Can you give us a number of these "bread and butter-customers" – compared to others?
In this thread I count 5 people arguing for more sub forums. These 5 aren't the bread and butter, are they? Even 15 or 50 wouldn't, compared to all active forums members or the 2 Mio Affinity customers.

You still insist to deny the fact that sub forums will increase the amount of questions for common app topics, which will be asked as duplicates then in up to 3 forums. That increased amount of threads also generates more posts (answers, comments) and therefore demands the Serif team more than now – whereas I don't have the impression at the moment that they have spare time for more of their postings.

Yes, it will be easier for some users. Like it will be disliked by others.
As long there is no real numerical statistic which for instance says...:

"35% of all threads are about crashes" or
"68% are about features in only AfPhoto"

... such a discussion is nice to have but not really useful in its repeating intensity.
I would not be surprised if such statistics exist in the background, led and observed by those responsible.

May I ask, % of questions Serif team answers vs. % forum members answer. 


Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cecil said:

This is one thread among many, please search, if possible for all.

I have participated in topics about splitting the forums since around the time the first Windows app was released. To the best of my memory, there is not now nor has there ever been a strong demand for this, nor any consensus on how many sub-forums there should be among those who have expressed an opinion. Some say there should be separate sub-forums for Mac & Windows users; some that it should be based only on application. Some have suggested that there should be at least one 'general' sub-forum for questions that are not specific to one app or to one OS. Some have suggested mandatory tagging instead of sub-forums; more recently topic prefixes have gained a number of advocates.

Those in favor of splitting the forums contend that the apps are sufficiently different to justify this; those against it contend the commonality among the apps  is far too great for that. From time to time debates about if any of this would make it easier or harder to find the best existing answers, or increase or decrease the total number of topics become part of the discussion, yet there is never any consensus about that either.

To say that the staff don't care what users want is neither accurate nor fair. It is simply that we want different things & cannot agree on what would be best for everyone.


Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2019 at 4:06 PM, atlrob said:

Being a fairly new user to the Affinity programs I have a suggestion.  It is time to have separate headers for Affinity Support Questions.

It is a big time waster to see a subject which seems to be an area of interest in one program to be addressing some issue in another program.

Please separate the three products under the Support Questions header.

Thanks

R. Burns

One of the pieces of information that allow me to see if a post is relevant is the title. 

That's why your title of "Why in the World"  is so helpful !

Not to worry, I didn't waste too much time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Cecil said:

atlrob, hang in there, my post were for those that felt it would be beneficial to make sub forums for each program.  To be fare, if Affinity did customize to sub forums, I would continue to follow all, for many reasons.  I believe freedom of choice, especially when your bread and butter- customers request repeatedly for the same change, corporate should respond.  It may not be the answer your looking for; however, a definitive position that could be provided by a Affinity moderator.  Enjoy Affinity Photo and never be afraid to post any question. 

The 

11 hours ago, R C-R said:

I have participated in topics about splitting the forums since around the time the first Windows app was released. To the best of my memory, there is not now nor has there ever been a strong demand for this, nor any consensus on how many sub-forums there should be among those who have expressed an opinion. Some say there should be separate sub-forums for Mac & Windows users; some that it should be based only on application. Some have suggested that there should be at least one 'general' sub-forum for questions that are not specific to one app or to one OS. Some have suggested mandatory tagging instead of sub-forums; more recently topic prefixes have gained a number of advocates.

Those in favor of splitting the forums contend that the apps are sufficiently different to justify this; those against it contend the commonality among the apps  is far too great for that. From time to time debates about if any of this would make it easier or harder to find the best existing answers, or increase or decrease the total number of topics become part of the discussion, yet there is never any consensus about that either.

To say that the staff don't care what users want is neither accurate nor fair. It is simply that we want different things & cannot agree on what would be best for everyone.

Please pinpoint my position that the staff don’t care.  My above response clearly indicated that I would continue to follow all the forums and if the staff responded, the OP may not like their response.  I did comment that staff moderator could provide a definitive response.  This was intended to prevent future post to this thread.  I did end my post on a positive note, not usually seen, to OP to enjoy Affinity Photo.

My last post was just in response, asking me for statistics, which wasn’t provided to me, proving or disproving statistical data.  One statement did state this cause additional staff workload.  I can see that from the perspective that staff and approved moderators must review all post , before releasing public view. However, looking at this this, forum members, not staff posted to this threat.  Hence I reversed the question to me, requesting percent of post by staff vs. members.

IMHO,  your post was intentionally made to suggest that I stated the staff does not care. I simply  ask staff or Affinity Moderators to respond with a definitive answer that would be the future response to end this subject now and future post.  Each OP is an Affinity Team member, experienced or not.  I do think you for judging and interpreting my personal position concerning Affinity staff and publicly posting them.  I had previously reserved that responsibility to my wife. Have a great day.

 


Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gerard O said:

One of the pieces of information that allow me to see if a post is relevant is the title. 

That's why your title of "Why in the World"  is so helpful !

Not to worry, I didn't waste too much time

Glad to hear that....but the title got your attention

R. Burns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cecil said:

IMHO,  your post was intentionally made to suggest that I stated the staff does not care.

I had no such intention. @atlrob mentioned earlier that "affinity" either doesn't care what some users might want or has tunnel vision. I was just explaining why, from my perspective of following & participating in discussions about this issue for many years, I think that is neither accurate nor fair.


Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R C-R, your reply failed to add the @, which stunned me. I searched my comments to ensure that I implied no such comment, finding none, I and expect many, assume you directed your remark to my post.  

R C-R “ I was just explaining why, from my perspective of following & participating in discussions about this issue for many years, I think that is neither accurate nor fair.”  

We can agree on “for many years”, concerning this topic, although a prior post to me on this threat, only five people auguring for sub forums. 

I suggested to atlrob, just enjoy Affinity Photo and post all questions. I think we both know that his question was appropriate as a new user (IMHO perfect title) will continue, until corporate submits definitive position. Peace.  I’m getting too old to submit my perspective concerning lost battles, to new customers concerns or offending anyone who has a different perspective. 

 


Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will be my last post regarding this subject.  What I can not figure out is why does  the

Feature Requests, Suggestions & Discussions

forum have everything separated out.  Could it be that it makes it easier and faster

for the Affinity folks to respond to issues?  Just wondering.

R. Burns OP

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cecil said:

R C-R, your reply failed to add the @, which stunned me.

You are attaching far too much significance to that. Just because a post begins with a quote from someone does not mean everything (or anything) in it is about the person quoted, or for that matter about any person in particular.


Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not have a general questions forum and separate apps forum

Affinity Questions

Affinity on Windows
- General questions related to all apps
- Designer questions
- Photo questions
- Publisher questions

 

And the same set up for Mac.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.