Using Publisher (latest version) on a MacBook Pro.  The software is incredibly laggy and even kicks in the discrete graphics card for simple operations.  I type in text boxes and do not see text for 3-4 seconds.  I try to move text boxes and they slowly move across the page.  I just ran spell check and got the beach ball of death, so I thought while I wait for the application to return (if it does), I would find out if there is something I need to do to get the application to run properly.  The Beta version worked much better.

Thanks.

which version are you currently using? Do you have the app to default to "Metal" as your default rendering?375114031_ScreenShot2019-08-24at9_59_49PM.thumb.jpg.218f61a8dd0515d8e2f511f7eec8471b.jpg

I think it might be helpful. Also "Enable Metal compute acceleration"

If it's still having problem is it always with one file or with even a brand new file? I had problems with performance when I had a certain EPS placed on a page. Once I started a new document it was fine.

Hi mattmgut,

Welcome to the forums :)

Please let me know if Bryce's suggestions worked for you, if not there are a few other things we can try.

Thanks

C

Thank you for the responses.  

Bryce, I changed the Display setting to Metal and that seems to help.  I think your second suggestion gets to the root of the issue.  I dropped an 11x17 PDF with floor plans drawings on an 11x17 page.  I planned to add text in Publisher to the line drawings.  I do not think the application liked having that large file placed as a background.  I wonder if I had exported the drawings as .jpg images it would have been better.  However, I wanted the title block around the perimeter of the drawing too.  When I started a new document as you suggested, text boxes appeared to perform fine.  Use will tell.  Thanks again.

Callum, Hello!

Cheers.

Publisher is also running really slow for me, as well.  I have 140 pages of a book.  No images. 

I have the latest version of Publisher for Windows.

I checked, and I don't have a "Metal" settings in my Windows Publisher.

In Performance I expanded usage of RAM . . .  Didn't make any difference in the speed.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Probably off topic but worth a mention, what Internet Browser is being used / is it open when using publisher?

Google Chrome specifically sucks the life out of all computers and frequently need to be completely closed to relieve the computers processing power.

And how many tabs typically open on browser?

I have no problems with any browser. The only thing I can report about browser is, that on a two monitor setup - with the Affinity applications on the left monitor and Firefox on the right monitor - I am not able to drag a Firefox tab to the left monitor.

I also had some performance problems a while ago in a BETA, but this is no more a problem. Maybe due to the fact, that this large document was very complex, having a lots of vectors.

Maybe worth a try would be to close all panels that will render something in the layout area like Pages, Assets, Styles, Resource Manager, Navigator, Layers etc. or switching to Preferences -> Performance -> Retina Rendering = Low Quality. With the last option I can't see any difference. Wasn't Retina a marketing buzz word from Apple? Maybe there is actually no difference? :D