You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

post a few screenshots, preferably with the layers panel in view and any groups or layers expanded.

1. Make sure before you copy the selection, you have the correct layer selected in the layers panel.
  2. Also make sure the layer is a Pixel layer not an image layer.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

8 minutes ago, benrymnd said:

with no detail of the photo I  cut out..

I don’t see much detail, but I do see some! In particular, I see bits of green around the tops of their heads, as if there are trees or bushes in the background.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 minutes ago, benrymnd said:

as you can see the cut out is just an outline and not the photo

Yes, I can indeed see that, but my point was that it’s a multicoloured outline. How did you make the selection?

Alfred spacer.png

15 minutes ago, benrymnd said:

Used the selection brush tool

Did you only select around the edge of the two girls? I don’t see a bottom border to the pasted shape.

Alfred spacer.png

Just for the sake of curiosity, use the rectangle selection tool on DSC06574 to select the girls and copy/paste to the "starry starry night" image.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 hours ago, benrymnd said:

Used the selection brush tool

OK, but how did you use it? Did you brush over all of the part of the image of the two people you want to including in the selection, or just brushed around an outline of that part?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Or maybe make screen recording of your selection brush workflow and post, with layer panel visible.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

I think he had a very small brush size and he thought he was cutting the girls out but in fact he was making a very thin selection.

iUnRw.png

17 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I think he had a very small brush size and he thought he was cutting the girls out but in fact he was making a very thin selection.

My thoughts precisely!

16 hours ago, Alfred said:

Did you only select around the edge of the two girls? I don’t see a bottom border to the pasted shape.

Alfred spacer.png

Great minds think alike, I made a fast and furious selection video

doll_selection.gif.f6c692e60b7bcb36dab64d17f2ab7d5b.gif