You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

color issue with panoramas

hi,

Since Version 1.7.2.471 I see this color-shift when stitching panoramas: A+B = Pano "C"  
see the sky for example..

2000461850_AffinityPhoto.thumb.png.0c80265c1d68015fe6093633b5470fe0.png

Is this a bug or a user-mistake?

Between 1.71 and 1.7.2 I did not recalibrate my screen, change any settings nor update the graphics-driver (NVidia).
I also already tried to reset the application-settings (ALT-GR - start) - no change.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Fritz

• 2 weeks later...

I made panoramas from two images using version 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.2.471 and do not observe the differences you report. Both panoramas and the original two images all have the same color. I'm sorry I do not have any suggestions as to why you are seeing something different. Also, I'm surprised no one else has responded to your post after one week, but things can get lost in these forums.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

@Chris B Thanks for your reply.

In the meanwhile I found out, that the color-issue only occurs, when Color-Prefs are set to ROMM RGB - regardless if the Input-Pictures are JPG or RAW (NRW).

ROMM.png.a1a7d41a11b503df4ac1976ce155deeb.png

Maybe I misunderstood this Video on YT:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx-l7Avm8Bs  (Published early June 2019)
Since I saw this I switched my working-profiles to ROMM RGB to take advantage of the wider color-spectrum when working with RAW...

On the other hand:
When I open the panorama-pictures individually the Sky-Color is displayed correctly:
Color_2.png.617512fde4c8155dbf53720cc0c2121f.png

Strangely I did not notice any of these color-Issues with Versions of Photo prior to 1.7.2.x

In case I am not smart enough to understand all this color-management-stuff: just say it ;-) 

Scaled down Test-Images attached.

kind regards
Fritz

DSCN4468.jpg

DSCN4467.jpg

• Staff

Hey Fritz_H,

Do you have a monitor that can correctly display the wider gamut from the ROMM RGB profile? If I use ROMM RGB on my 4k Dell panel the colours look way too saturated—almost like I'm using a LUT or filter. My iMac handles this much better than the 4k Dell panel I'm using.

@Chris B I am sure that my Screen can not properly display that gamut BUT I did not notice that color-Issue with Photo 1.7.1 and earlier.

and: Why are the single pictures displayed properly and just the panorama is "broken"?
The color-change happens in the very last second of the stitching and rendering process.

I will try to downgrade Photo to 1.7.1 and test again...

kind regards
Fritz

• Staff
12 hours ago, Fritz_H said:

and: Why are the single pictures displayed properly and just the panorama is "broken"?
The color-change happens in the very last second of the stitching and rendering process.

Good point. I will have to do some more testing as well. 

• Staff

The Panorama merge operation should get its document colour profile from what is mandated in the image's metadata—this is often sRGB or Adobe RGB. I've just tested with my default RGB Colour Profile option set to ROMM RGB, but the panorama stitch correctly uses sRGB instead since the images are in that colour space. This is on Mac—perhaps it's not working as intended on Windows 1.7.2?

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

hi all,

I did a quick downgrade to 1.7.1 (without reboot etc..) as promised:  same color-shift.
well, I could have sworn it was not there in 1.7.1 and earlier..

Although I do not understand why single pictures a displayed properly but freshly rendered Panoramas are not,
but I don´t want to bother you with this "issue" any longer.

Thanks for the interest in my posting.

kind regards
Fritz

• 2 years later...

I noticed the same behavior in 2021 with version 1.10.4.1198. Like you I had set my color profiles to "ROMM RGB" for both RGB and "32bit RGB". A noticeable color cast was introduced in the exact same step as you described. I switched the "RGB Color Profile" back to "sRBG" and the issue is gone. Color profiles can always be good for surprises... This old discussion was a great help for locating the solution in the settings. 👍