You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

User Created Crop Tool Presets have no effect - 1.7.2.471

I think a bug from 1.7.0.258 has returned, I just upgraded from 1.6.5 to 1.7.2, and recreated a few crop presets that arent carried over during the upgrade, but none of them actually do anything.  This is a repeat of the bugs reported in these threads:

[Fixed] User Created Crop Tool Presets have no effect - 1.7.0.258

The user created crop presets dont seem to work properly

They're working for me, @drphoto. Perhaps you could provide some screenshots of the issue?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sure, see attached. The numbers change, but the guides do not.  I also noticed while doing this, that the crop tool seems to select the previously selected size automatically (see the History list on the second image, It already says Apply Preset.  I had to roll it back).  Its the exact same behavior I noted in a previous beta version (see posts), which was fixed, but now it seems off again.:

croptoolinop1.PNG

croptoolinop2.PNG

croptoolinop3.PNG

croptoolinop4.PNG

I'm not sure about the "Apply Preset" in the History when you first chose the Crop Tool, but the Crop Tool is supposed to remember the last preset you used. And the tool gives you a separate set of History, so perhaps what you're seeing is just the tool choosing the preset you last used.

As for the crop box (guides) not changing, I think that is correct.

Your original image has an aspect ratio of 1.5:1 (6720:4480) and your preset has that same ratio (6288:4192). The crop box for "unconstrained" and for either "custom ratio" or "resample" will fill the image to the extent possible. So you started with a crop box the size of your image, and you changed to the same ratio. The crop box would not seem to change, because the new box (filling the image to the ratio you specified) is in the same place as it originally was.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

After looking at it a bit more, I understand what the option should do, I think the confusion comes in is from the guide "behavior".

If you select resample and change the entries by keying, the guides dont move like they did in 1.6 to show you the end result. Custom ratio moves the guides, but not in a way that makes any sense, "the ratio" is in pixels, and the guides dont really show you what the results will be. The only option that works as I expect is Unconstrained, but it wont let me save that as a preset!  Thats the option Id use the most in my edits when cropping, so thats now a bit of a time sink in 1.7. 

6 hours ago, drphoto said:

If you select resample and change the entries by keying, the guides dont move like they did in 1.6 to show you the end result.

The Resample version of cropping did not exist in 1.6; it is totally new for 1.7, and should not be compared with how cropping worked in 1.6.

When you use the Resample version of cropping,

1. You select a size in the boxes on the Context Toolbar and a DPI, and the crop box guides are positioned in that ratio on the image, in the maximum size that will fit the image.
  2. You then adjust the size of the crop box using the corner handles to compose the image you want, and the ratio is maintained. You can also move the crop box around in the image, if it is smaller than the image, to help compose the final image you want.
  3. You then click Apply, and whatever portion of the image is enclosed within the crop box is resized and resampled to the size and DPI you specified on the Context Toolbar.

-- Walt
PC:

I'm finding the Custom crop presets in the latest release a little confusing.

For example,

I open a 6" x 4.5" photo and I want to crop it to 6" x 4"

If the units in the workspace happened to be set to Inches before I select the crop tool, then when I select it, change the mode from Unconstrained to Custom Ratio and select the 3::2 (6:4) preset, the values just to the right of Custom Ratio in the context tool bar show as 0.042 in x 0.028 in.  Why these particular values?

If the units in the workspace instead happened to be set to pixels, then when I select the crop tool, change the mode from Unconstrained to Custom Ratio and select the 3::2 (6:4) preset, the values just to the right of the Custom Ratio in the contexct tool bar show as 3 px x 2 px.  Again what is the purpose of these particular values?

Am I missing something simple?

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

5 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

If the units in the workspace happened to be set to Inches before I select the crop tool, then when I select it, change the mode from Unconstrained to Custom Ratio and select the 3::2 (6:4) preset, the values just to the right of Custom Ratio in the context tool bar show as 0.042 in x 0.028 in.  Why these particular values?

If the units in the workspace instead happened to be set to pixels, then when I select the crop tool, change the mode from Unconstrained to Custom Ratio and select the 3::2 (6:4) preset, the values just to the right of the Custom Ratio in the contexct tool bar show as 3 px x 2 px.  Again what is the purpose of these particular values?

In each case, they are the small (I'm tempted to say the smallest) values in the units you have chosen, that give that ratio. The question is, why is Photo showing values with units rather than a ratio as you asked.

That might be a bug. Perhaps the Serif staff will also comment on that when they get around to handling this topic. Thanks for mentioning it; I noticed that a day or two ago, too, and it doesn't seem right.

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks for the response Walt

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

In each case, they are the small (I'm tempted to say the smallest) values in the units you have chosen, that give that ratio.

That does appear to be the case with the two examples I quoted previously.

However, another common crop for me is to crop to either 210:297 portrait or 297:210 landscape for full A4 page images, and I have saved a 297:210 custom preset for this.

If the workspace units are set to millimeters prior to using the crop tool, then when I set the mode to Custom Ratio, and select my 297:210 preset, the values show as 21.6mm x 15.2mm.

Those values don't resolve as the selected ratio, but the crop itself does give the correct result.

Hopefully Serif can make this a bit clearer at some stage

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe