You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 crashes on file load: jpg, nef, raw, etc...

On 8/24/2019 at 2:13 AM, Joe Hart said:

NVIDIA Quadro 2000M display adapter driver 5/1/17 ver. 22.21.13.8205

Firstly hold down the Ctrl Key while double clicking the Icon to open the application and keep holding it down until you get the Clear User Data Panel, accept the defaults and click Clear:

image.png.044b2b4b37e2365b38d39405f9c9dca2.png

if that doesn't help try switching the Render to WARP in the Performance section of Preferences, restart the application and see if you can open the RAW images then.

If you can it means that your Video Driver is out of date, and in this case the latest version is 377.83, download it from the NVIDIA website and install it then switch the Renderer back to the Quadro and try it again. (I'm not sure why you are showing 382.05 as your version)

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

10 hours ago, pixeldroid said:

AP and AF crash when I try to load a panorama jpg from my phone.

There may be a conflict because it is a 'motion' panorama:

image.png.c15a4a84fa0c2bd87c2737fe45c29599.png

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

Advanced issues found

12 hours ago, AiDon said:

Firstly hold down the Ctrl Key while double clicking the Icon to open the application and keep holding it down until you get the Clear User Data Panel, accept the defaults and click Clear:

image.png.044b2b4b37e2365b38d39405f9c9dca2.png

if that doesn't help try switching the Render to WARP in the Performance section of Preferences, restart the application and see if you can open the RAW images then.

If you can it means that your Video Driver is out of date, and in this case the latest version is 377.83, download it from the NVIDIA website and install it then switch the Renderer back to the Quadro and try it again. (I'm not sure why you are showing 382.05 as your version)

I had tried dorking with the display driver before after reading blog posts. I went into the NVIDIA Control Panel and reset defaults back to base and told it to auto choose between NVIDIA driver and default. Applied setting. Open Affinity Photo and tried to load a .jpg and it didn't crash! Yeal. I'm so tired of my Adobe Masters Collection 5.5 not working on Windows 10. Now I have a choice.

1 hour ago, smarterweb said:

I have the exact same issue. But my file is just a standard jpg (see attachment).

I tried the reset trick and also switched to WARP. My VGA drivers are the latest. (AMD Radeon)

Every time I try to open that file Photo crashes...

solutions anyone?

20190902_134908.zip

The image in the .zip file appears to be a Motion Panorama image from a (Samsung Galaxy S7 ?) smart phone, rather than a standard static .jpg.

It does indeed cause Affinity Photo to crash back to desktop when opening it, and it also has that effect on Topaz Studio 1 and Studio 2, so obviously they all have issues with that format.

It can be opened by ACDSee Photo Studio and by FastStone Editor, but they display it as a static image, not a Motion Panorama.

Image-01.thumb.jpg.120cb77164d0aea81cc2f9a805b2ae0d.jpg

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

• Staff
9 hours ago, smarterweb said:

I have the exact same issue. But my file is just a standard jpg (see attachment).

I tried the reset trick and also switched to WARP. My VGA drivers are the latest. (AMD Radeon)

Every time I try to open that file Photo crashes...

solutions anyone?

20190902_134908.zip

It crashes my Windows version but macOS is fine with this image. The app shouldn't crash so I'll log this as a bug. Thank you.

• Staff
On 8/30/2019 at 5:44 PM, pixeldroid said:

AP and AF crash when I try to load a panorama jpg from my phone.

I can open it in my image viewers.

Attached for testing.

20190829_152542.zip

Same with yours. It will open on macOS but not Windows.

@Joe Hart - Can you attach your images or are they also motion panoramas from a Samsung Galaxy phone?

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Motion Panoramas from a Samsung Galaxy Phone crash the app) of the program in the latest Windows customer beta of Affinity Photo and/or Affinity Designer. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The 1.8.0.526 beta builds are in links at the top of these beta forum posts.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.