You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi !

I'm new here, and a new user of Affinity Designer.

So maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find how to cut/split/break a path, I see not scissors or things like that ?

In my case, I have a letter and need to cut one part, so to reopen the path is close.

Thanks for your help !

• Staff

Hello Mushr00m,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

After converting the text to a path (with the text selected go to menu Layer ▹ Convert to Curves), change to the Node Tool, select the node where you want to break the path and click on the first icon (Break Curve) in the Action section on the context toolbar (the bar right above the work area) - you may need to add a stroke to help you visualise this better if the letter has a fill. If you want to remove a segment, break both points at the extremes of the segment as described above, select it and press Delete.

• 3 weeks later...

How about a divide into segments command? Highlight the path, select the command and Designer cuts up the path according to the anchor points. If you are going to offer this ability, how about thinking of offering the ability to add a user defined number of evenly spaced anchor points to a path? 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I am trying to clean up something which will become part of a logo but I would need to separate or cut or divide (I am sorry but it is hard to explain in words, so perhaps the screenshot may be of help)

I want to cut the "lasso" so it won't look like an "e", but I am highlighting nodes and click on Break Curve ut it looks like new nodes are coming up all the time. What I would need is a kind of scissors or a blade just to cut loose and then fix the nodes as they should be. 

I am not that experienced with bezier-curves and nodes, so perhaps it is something obvious for those in the know, but I hope someone can explain the obvious to me:)

post-18585-0-01618200-1478561609_thumb.png

Try this:

1. Draw a small ellipse or rectangle on top of the letter

2. Select both objects with the Move Tool

3. Click on 'Convert to Curves' on the Context toolbar

4. Click on 'Subtract' on the Geometry toolbar

post-8358-0-99997500-1478594568_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Try this:

1. Draw a small ellipse or rectangle on top of the letter

2. Select both objects with the Move Tool

3. Click on 'Convert to Curves' on the Context toolbar

4. Click on 'Subtract' on the Geometry toolbar

Great! That did the trick! The solutions are always so simple you feel like: Why didn't I think of that, but well, that's how it is :D Thanks a lot!

The solutions are always so simple you feel like: Why didn't I think of that, but well, that's how it is :D

I've been there, too, so I know exactly what you mean!

Thanks a lot!

You're very welcome. I'm glad I was able to help. :)

Alfred spacer.png

• 1 year later...
31 minutes ago, SoniaBT said:

thanks for this!!

You’re welcome, Sonia! I’m looking forward to the day when we get a Knife Tool: subtracting a small shape is fine if you actually want a gap, but not so good if you simply want to split an object into two or more pieces.

Alfred spacer.png

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Unfortunately this way doesn't work for me :(. I would like to cut into 2 parts following curvature:

But when I do break curve action I get strange output:

1. Brake curve on "1"
2. Brake curve on "2"
3. This strange line ...

How to do this properly?

edit: copy-paste image doesn't work, I can see the image but after submitting the answer there is no image :(

Capture.PNG

Hi, vit0,

Here is what I think is happening.

You have the letter "D" converted to curves. When you break the outer line at the points you show, you should be seeing another layer listed as "curve." The perimeter portion now defines 2 sides of an area. That area inherited the colored fill from the parent shape. The new curve area shows up with the red fill from the 2 endpoints, and is placed above what is left of the original curve set. Select the new curve, and change the fill to none. Assuming there is a stroke attribute, you will see only the line along the vector.

When you post, note the box at the bottom that says "Drag files here..." in order to include an attachment.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

21 minutes ago, gdenby said:

Hi, vit0,

Here is what I think is happening.

You have the letter "D" converted to curves. When you break the outer line at the points you show, you should be seeing another layer listed as "curve." The perimeter portion now defines 2 sides of an area. That area inherited the colored fill from the parent shape. The new curve area shows up with the red fill from the 2 endpoints, and is placed above what is left of the original curve set. Select the new curve, and change the fill to none. Assuming there is a stroke attribute, you will see only the line along the vector.

When you post, note the box at the bottom that says "Drag files here..." in order to include an attachment.

Hi thanks for the reply.

I don't know if I got what you wrote.  After I convert "D" to curves I have the following:
Captur1e.PNG.15b80031f014aa891320a33b2d081553.PNG

And after I break curve I have:

Captur12e.PNG.3223a602ffa71e50c0848b9a4af8ee1f.PNG

Indeed there are two new layers but giving them no fill isn't what I want because I need to have a fill, different for two slices I want to create. Something like this:
Captur4e.PNG.9e51c3f495878a1e1757d4253cd59259.PNG

1 hour ago, vit0 said:

And after I break curve

Don't break the curve! ;)

After you select the D and 'Convert to Curves', cover half of that Curves object with a right-angled triangle: an easy way to construct the triangle is to place a rectangle on top of the D, convert the rectangle to curves and delete the bottom right-hand node, and then adjust the nodes at each end of the hypotenuse to form a diagonal where you want to cut the D. With both the triangle and the D selected, click on the 'Divide' icon in the Geometry section of the toolbar. Finally, delete the unwanted pieces inside and outside of the D.

Alfred spacer.png

• 4 months later...
On 6/22/2015 at 9:58 PM, MEB said:

Hello Mushr00m,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

After converting the text to a path (with the text selected go to menu Layer ▹ Convert to Curves), change to the Node Tool, select the node where you want to break the path and click on the first icon (Break Curve) in the Action section on the context toolbar (the bar right above the work area) - you may need to add a stroke to help you visualise this better if the letter has a fill. If you want to remove a segment, break both points at the extremes of the segment as described above, select it and press Delete.

Can you point me in the right direction to do this within my iPad?

• Staff

Hi MyAmazingDiscoveries.com,
On the iPad, to convert the text to paths select the text object then tap the ellipsis icon on the top left of the interface and select Convert to Curves (it's on the right column). The text is now covered to a group containing all the letters inside (as individual objects). Select the letter/path you have to cut/break, change to the Node Tool, tap the node where you want to break the path then tap the Break button in the context toolbar on bottom. If you want to delete a segment you have to break a second node in that path as you did for the first one - then change to the Move Tool, tap the segment you "isolated from the path" and press the Delete icon on the bottom left of the interface (the trash icon).