You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Print booklet + n-up?

I have created a booklet with a lot of pages in A6 and I would love to print them two-sided on A4 pages as a booklet (four pages on each side - after printing I would cut the pages in half). So basically I need a combination of booklet and n-up. 

As I have started this project in InDesign a long time ago, I was only able to save the file as a PDF booklet and then use a third-party tool to n-up the PDF.

With Publisher I was able to print it as a booklet, but only when I manually feed pre-cut A5 pages into my printer one by one which is super annoying.

Can anyone think of a more efficient way to do this?

It's not exactly related but Designer as an array copy option also called " Power Duplicate" that repeats all the modifications you did on the last operation. So if you moved, rotated and resized an image, the next time you copied it would auto move/rotate the next amount. Publisher can also use ctrl+J to use power duplicate. This video here is very good at covering Designer, at 17:08 it covers power duplicate.

It's not really a fix but you might be able to use it to quickly make an array similar to n-up. Granted it won't be sized to best fit and doesn't work with pages, but if you are desperate it might slightly help. Beyond that, I don't think there is anything in Publisher that would work.

I second n-up feature as I'd love to be able to use that for printing bookmarks and test print material.

55 minutes ago, fde101 said:

I suspect you will need specialized imposition software for this, and even then I'm not sure how trivial it would be to set it up to do something like this.

It's harder to print, fold and cut properly than using the imposition software. 

I recently did a small 64-page booklet this way. Takes but seconds.

On 8/23/2019 at 6:51 AM, Jenny said:

I have created a booklet with a lot of pages in A6 and I would love to print them two-sided on A4 pages as a booklet (four pages on each side - after printing I would cut the pages in half). So basically I need a combination of booklet and n-up. 

As I have started this project in InDesign a long time ago, I was only able to save the file as a PDF booklet and then use a third-party tool to n-up the PDF.

With Publisher I was able to print it as a booklet, but only when I manually feed pre-cut A5 pages into my printer one by one which is super annoying.

Can anyone think of a more efficient way to do this?

Hello Jenny,

I would be happy to do the imposition for you, gratis. If you would like to go ahead with it, feel free upload the pdf to dropbox or the like and send me a private message with a download link and your email address and I'll send you a download link for the imposed pdf.

If this type of thing is something you will do often, I too would recommend obtaining imposition software that is capable of this task.

Mike

On 8/26/2019 at 4:22 AM, MikeW said:

Hello Jenny,

I would be happy to do the imposition for you, gratis. If you would like to go ahead with it, feel free upload the pdf to dropbox or the like and send me a private message with a download link and your email address and I'll send you a download link for the imposed pdf.

If this type of thing is something you will do often, I too would recommend obtaining imposition software that is capable of this task.

Mike

That is very kind of you, but I am actually using a third party software for the imposition. I just thought it would be fantastic to have an efficient workflow in just one app (Publisher), since it can already do both the things I need, just not in combination :-)