You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.7.2 embedded document related bugs

Hello,

I have updated to Publisher 1.7.2 from v1.7.1.408, but after experiencing the following bugs I quickly downgraded to 1.7.1.408.

• I have a document created in 1.7.1.408 with an embedded Publisher document which used to be a linked one but I used the Resource Managed to embed it in order to introduce changes to it.
  • After updating to 1.7.2, this embedded Publisher document reverted back to be linked, so Publisher reloaded the original and all the applied changes were lost.
  • Out of curiosity, I embedded the document once more and introduced some changes to it.
  • After closing the open tab of the embedded document, its main view and its layer preview was not updated, as if I had not made any changes to it.
  • In the layer panel I made the embedded document's layer invisible then visible again, and the views were updated this way.

Alfter experiencing all this, I downgraded to 1.7.1.408 and opened up a backup of the document so that I can make sure I do not work with something that was changed by 1.7.2.

Reading other forum topics, others are also having serious issues with 1.7.2 so I guess it is not too safe to update to it.

Edited by Designwiz

• Staff

Thanks for reporting this, I'm investigating it at the moment due to what I've seen from some other threads.

• After updating to 1.7.2, this embedded Publisher document reverted back to be linked, so Publisher reloaded the original and all the applied changes were lost.

Did the resource manager update and say it was linked? I've found some behaviour where the resource manager is saying a file is embedded but seems to also be linked from what I can see.

I'm logging what I've investigated so far and ensuring the developers are aware.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Just to avoid any possible confusion, there's a small terminology problem in the subject/title of this topic. You don't have an "embedded image", but an "embedded document". For purposes of linking or embedding, image files are JPEG, PNG, or TIFF. The other file types (.afdesign, .afpub, .afphoto, PDF, SVG, EPS, ...) are documents, not images.

Images and documents are treated differently when embedding or linking, so it can be important to use the terms carefully :)

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for your problem, but I see one of the Affinity staff replied as I was typing this.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, Jon P said:

Did the resource manager update and say it was linked?

Yes it did. I could click on the "Embed button" in order to embed it again:

2 hours ago, Designwiz said:

Out of curiosity, I embedded the document once more and introduced some changes to it.

10 minutes ago, Jon P said:

I'm logging what I've investigated so far and ensuring the developers are aware.

Thank you! It's my mistake to update a few days after a new version of app has been released. Normally I wait for weeks to avoid being sort of a beta tester. I do not know what happened to me today :)

Anyway, keep up the good work! Publisher is the most productive app you sell (as it is in pair with InDesign, at least for me), following Designer which I also like A LOT but its feature-set is not yet there for me to replace Illustrator just yet, and the last one is Photo, which I cannot use for any useful work, but I am hoping one day you will add "Smart Object" with all sorts of distorting options so that I can start using it too.

I have had problems with Publisher v1.7.2 also. An embedded af designer with artboards slows the redraw with the text, so much so, embedding another art board from the same document made it impossible to continue. I was able to save each artboard (8 of them) into separate png files and it seems to have fixed it. Also I have had the printing problem, where it would crash, which has been reported.

I did not find any reference to the slowing of the redraw of text, so thought I should report it.

(I found the same with the Windows and Mac versions).