You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer in iPad - Transparent Background

Maddy

Hey there :12_slight_smile: 

my name is Maddy! I‘m new here & if I make any mistake just tell me! 

I think I have found a bug in Designer for iPad. So I made a design with vectors & forms and have selected all options, that the exported png has a transparent background (transparent setting at the beginning, transparent setting in the document, while export selecting png & letting all options like they are). But when I save the design on my iPad via the sharing option on the bottom left, it makes a white background. It worked before without any problems. 

Then I tried an illustration without predone formes like hearts or stars & the export with transparent background worked perfectly fine. I have to say, when the formes don‘t have a preselected filling color, it workes as well. But when placing the form with colour & then remove it, the export will have again a white background even if the transparent Settings are activated.

when I bring the design with the new white background back in the Designer, the background is automatically transparent again! 

I hope you can understand, what I mean (I am not a native English speaker) 

Greets, Maddy 

• Staff

Hi Maddy,

What exactly do you mean by 'form'? Would it be possible for you to record a screen recording that demonstrates the problems you are getting please? Please include all steps as this will make it much easier for us to investigate. If it is document specific would it be possible for you to also attach that document as well please?

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Sean P said:

What exactly do you mean by 'form'?

Sean, I think Maddy is trying to say: 'forms' are Rectangle tool/diamond tool etc. (preformed shapes), as distinct from shapes that are hand drawn. A rectangle with no colour added exports as transparent in png. After adding, then removing a colour to the shape, the shape now exports as white rather than transparent. Hope that helps.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff
7 hours ago, DM1 said:

Sean, I think Maddy is trying to say: 'forms' are Rectangle tool/diamond tool etc. (preformed shapes), as distinct from shapes that are hand drawn. A rectangle with no colour added exports as transparent in png. After adding, then removing a colour to the shape, the shape now exports as white rather than transparent. Hope that helps.

Thanks! I've tried that and I'm getting a transparency after changing the fill from solid to empty. I think a video from Maddy demonstrating her process and the issue would help immensely. 

Hello :13_upside_down:

I am sorry that I could not answer earlier.  And of course I meant to shapes (sorry, my English is just school English).  So I can close this topic because I was so frustrated and reinstalled the app. So far, the error has not occurred. But as I tried to explain the bug: The shapes are automatically filled with a colour when placed. I remove the filled colour and everything looked transparent. When I saved the illustration, the background was white. But I think I found the issue, why it was not transparent anymore. On the export overlay next to the Mattesetting, is the size of the exported canvas. I usually work with 6400px x 6400px. When I used shapes, the settings at the export will be bigger (9120px x 9129px) and this was the problem I didn‘t realise before. Now I control every setting in Detail befor the export. 

Greets Maddy