You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Some quality-of-life improvements for a flat-fill workflow

It's been a while since I've tried the latest Affinity Photo stable release and I'm glad that most of what was missing for my cartooning has been added to 1.7.2! Thank you so much for continuing to work on such a wonderful product.

First, I just found out by accident that Ctrl in Affinity does what Shift does in Photoshop -- something I can get used to (and it's technically more consistent with what modern UIs do for multiple selections!) and Alt does the same as Photoshop, but there wasn't any feedback on the flood select cursor to indicate that. Having a little thing floating next to the cursor that indicates what will happen to the selection (like Photoshop displaying a +, -, or * for add/subtract/intersect) would be helpful. I see that in the other selection tools this indicator does appear, but it seems to be missing from flood select. Also there doesn't seem to be a modifier for Intersect. Maybe ctrl+alt for that?

I also posted a while ago about wanting to make it easier to grow/shrink selections from the keyboard. For now I'm using a couple of macros to handle my common grow/shrink operations, but it's annoying to have to click on them in the macro library, while in Photoshop I just bound "expand selection" to a shortcut key and then it retained the last size setting, and also focused the text entry field for the size. I do appreciate that now you can do everything from the keyboard (pressing tab to select the size field and then entering a number), but it'd be nice if the field were what was selected in the first place (since it doesn't seem like the focus on the slider actually makes it keyboard-accessible anyway) and if it would retain the last entered value. It's a lot better now than it was before, but it still feels a bit clunky to me.

And finally, in Photoshop if you hold down a tool shortcut key and click, it'll just use that tool during the click and then switch back to the previous tool when you let go of the shortcut key. For example, from any tool you can hold I and click somewhere to get the eyedropper, and then releasing I goes back to the previous tool. (Again, very useful for flat fills, when you can just hold I, eyedropper a color that you want to fill, then alt-backspace or whatever to fill the selection, then release I and still be in the flood select tool.)

That said, these are now just minor annoyances for things that I got very used to in photoshop (and in particular they saved me a lot of time, which is why I got used to using them), and I feel like I can start making my comics again! So again, thank you so much for continually improving Affinity Photo.