You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slightly background flickering

Every time, when i move the mouse cursor over one of the scrollbars, there is a slightly flickering of the gui background.

The dark gray of the background is a little bit brighter for a part of a second.

This is very disturbing. The only way to prevent the flickering is to change the grayscale of the background in the settings to black or a very light gray or white.

I don' t think, that this has something to do with my hardware, because in Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, there is no flickering.

I use Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 (set to german language and with default settings) on Windows 10, 1903 with the latest updates (german version).

For all components of my computer, there are the latest drivers installed (including bios update).

(Computer: NUC8i7BEH - Intel Core i7-8559U Processor, Intel Iris Plus Grafik 655, 32 GB DDR4-2400, Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB SSD, HP Z24n G2 Monitor)

Hello Sean,

sorry, but the flickering is back. It has nothing to do with my system. The rulers cause the flickering.

Open an existing file or create a new one. Then choose a zoom level, so that you can see the dark gray background around your document. And finally activate the rulers.

When you now move the mouse cursor over the rulers or the scrollbars or other gui elements and back into the background, the dark gray of the backround becomes a little bit brigther for a part of a second. This happens again and again as long as you move the mouse.

If you disable the rulers, you disable the flickering. By the way, Affinity Photo has the same flickering with activeted rulers.

Update: It's not only the rulers but also the guides (with and without the rulers)!

You say it's not your system but everything was fine after a new installation.... and then it came back...

Here I can't see any flicker with or without the ruler.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

The problem is related to your Iris graphic card. Configuration or drivers I don't know. WARP uses the graphic engine of your I7 cpu.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Hi Alain,

there are not many configuration options for this card (as far as i know). The Intel Graphics Control Panel shows only settings for resolution, refresh rate and color managment.

The drivers are the latest.

The last two hours i searched in some other forums and i found a video that shows the exact same flickering that i have, but in Photoshop CC 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYXOiz9ZVbM&feature=youtu.be

I don't know if this helps but it shows what i mean.

And here is a discussion (from 2018) about the issue on the Adobe Forum: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2447785

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

I am so glad that i am not the only one with this flickering problem and that it seems not to be an Intel only issue.

Now i made a video of the flickering. It shows that the background becomes darker when the mouse moves and lighter when the mouse stops (as soapman wrote in the post above).

If you work for hours with the Affinity products, it`s very disturbing.

The video shows Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481, but it`s the same with Designer and Publisher.

• 8 months later...