You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wrong shapes when expanding strokes

budaloco

I was trying to do some line art and when I tried to expand the stroke I got some ugly results. It could be the scale. I'm working on a small size. But this is just wrong.

I've arranged both elements so you can see the difference. On the left original vector element, on the right it's the expanded shape. The last image is a overimposed comparison.

The same happened when I tried to expand a dotted line. See attached images.

expand-stroke2.jpg

expand-stroke.jpg

This is a long-standing issue! As you say, it’s because of the scale you’re working at: if you increase the size of the objects (by a factor of ten or more) before expanding the stroke, you’ll find that you get a much better result when you shrink it back down to its original size.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

This is a long-standing issue! As you say, it’s because of the scale you’re working at: if you increase the size of the objects (by a factor of ten or more) before expanding the stroke, you’ll find that you get a much better result when you shrink it back down to its original size.

That worked! Can't say the same for dotted outlines. No matter the size, those circles turn to shit hahaha.