You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

gradient tool crashes Affinity Photo

Affinity Photo crashes and all your data is lost if you use the gradient tool not 'properly'.

Tested under macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (latest) , Affinity Photo 1.7.2 (latest) and 1.7.1:

1) make new document
2) add a pixel layer
3) select gradient tool
4) draw a line for the gradient
5) select the swatches tab
6) select a color and drag it to one end of the line of the gradient 
-> Affinity Photo crashes and all your work is lost

Dear Affinity developers:
Please fix this behaviour! I'm not interested in a workaround! (I know how to 'properly'/'without crashing' use the gradient tool.) Prevent Affinity Photo from crashing.

Maybe do nothing or send an error-message if the user input can not be handled by the program but don't crash. If you are forward thinking make it possible to restore your work (at least some older version) if the program crashes. Maybe look at concepts like Final Cut Pro where saving documents ist handled by the program not the user. Modern software users don't want to handle that crap. You are a huge step in the right direction (compared to other Software) but please don't stop here and continue this great path ;-)

• Staff

Hi pixelhaufen,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for reporting this and sorry for the inconvenience this issue caused you. Affinity shouldn't crash in any circumstance - no workaround justifies a crash. It's a bug that should have been detected during the Beta and unfortunately wasn't. I've logged the issue to be looked at. Thanks for your support/feedback.

10 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi pixelhaufen,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for reporting this and sorry for the inconvenience this issue caused you. Affinity shouldn't crash in any circumstance - no workaround justifies a crash. It's a bug that should have been detected during the Beta and unfortunately wasn't. I've logged the issue to be looked at. Thanks for your support/feedback.

Hi MEB 

I want to compliment you on the way you handle the issues that users have particularly

'Affinity shouldn't crash in any circumstance - no workaround justifies a crash.' 

I love Affinity yet when I have a crash, sending a crash report along with the description, I have been given the reply: 

'Can you constantly replicate this or was it just a one-off?'

You put into words exactly what I have been trying to say for a long time.  If I can do something that crashes the software once is enough whether I can reproduce it or not ever again is a non issue, it crashed, with a crash report.  

This attitude has also made me emotional, no, very miffed, Pixelhaufen so I am with you.  

Even though I do spend copious amounts of time testing it seems to be totally ignored even though I can crash the software, give step by step descriptions as most of the time the site does not let me upload vids at times of real problems that I find.  I joined the beta program, I really care. 

On 8/22/2019 at 10:38 AM, pixelhaufen said:

Maybe do nothing or send an error-message if the user input can not be handled by the program but don't crash. If you are forward thinking make it possible to restore your work (at least some older version) if the program crashes. Maybe look at concepts like Final Cut Pro where saving documents ist handled by the program not the user. Modern software users don't want to handle that crap. You are a huge step in the right direction (compared to other Software) but please don't stop here and continue this great path ;-)

You are so right to say this to the devs.  I totally agree and I don't want this bump in the road to destroy this awesome software.  

Devs please listen, read my posts cause I've said the same things.  

Thanks again MEB for your patience and generosity of listening and responding.  

• 6 months later...