You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

issue transferring diagrams from Designer to Publisher

I've a series of diagrams I have produced in a single Designer file, on separate artboards. The diagrams are related in a series, so it is easier to produce them in sequence.  I am however having difficulties adding them to a Publisher document using the picture insert tool. I've attached one of the designer files and corresponding svg files in the hope someone has an idea what is going wrong.

If I save a Designer file for each individual diagram, the diagrams are on the whole as I would expect, except I am experiencing an issue with items outside the artboard being visible.

If I export the individual diagrams as SVG, they look fine when viewed in a web browser.  However, place them into a Publisher document and something rather bizarre is happening. The diagrams are made up of numbers of layers of the same elements - often in the same location, with the upper layers cropped so the whole thing replicates 3d knitting. The whole thing appears flattened, and it looks like the cropped layers are removed.

I'm not entirely sure whether there is a better way to do this, or if there is bug or two causing the issue.  Any help would be appreciated.

I'm working with 1.7.2.471 for both software packages, though the Publisher document was started with the previous release.

3 round bobble for publisher.afdesign

3 round bobble #1.svg

The problem is you applied the round corner to the artboard. Imagine exporting this as PDF: it would be a regular area, a rectangle or a square, but nothing with round corners. It's better to think of artboard like pages, or table: those are area on with we work on and put items, but they are not items.

You'd rather keep square/rectangular artboards, and use a square/rectangle with round corners and a stroke. And you can use a similar shape to crop a group containing the drawing, or simply insert the drawing in this shape.

If you placed your AD file in APub, you can select the artboard you want the same way as with a PDF (you ned to select the image first, if it's placed in a picture frame).

2019-08-22_202816.thumb.png.67bbfccd389848ff9e205820f6fd03cc.png

testBobbles.afpub

3 round bobble for publisher2.afdesign

Thanks @Wosven

I'll take a look at the files tomorrow when I'm back at my desk. You've explained the issue with the design file and the art board.

I can adjust the artboard and add another layer to mask the outer area. I've been producing similar diagrams in Designer for a while which have been used in PagePlus, and I find the frame helps me ensure good placement of elements, so it's better if the frame is part of the diagram.

But why is there a problem with the SVG files?

• Staff

Hi kazrbutler :)

10 hours ago, kazrbutler said:

But why is there a problem with the SVG files?

This is a bug with ClipPath elements in SVG that our developers are aware of, I'll update this report with your findings now.

In the meantime you could use PDF export from Affinity Designer, then place this PDF file into your Publisher document - I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi @Dan C,

I've had another chance to work on the project this issue was encountered in today and thought it might be useful to share experiences. Having read something relating to settings elsewhere in the forums, I tried exporting SVGs for in Print. For some of the diagrams, the issue with flattening when using the images in publisher was resolved. For the final 2 diagrams, which have more layers, there were still some issues - though fewer than with previous export settings. 

I've resorted to jpegs this time, which appear to be absolutely fine.