You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File import for PhotoImpact UFO files

Good morning.

I'm wondering if you could please, please add file support for ULead's PhotoImpact .ufo files. It would be great to import files and later save them as .afphoto. Is that something you can add?  Happy to help beta test the feature or provide files to make it happen.  Thanks!

• 6 months later...

You still have PhotoImpact? I think Corel discontinued it several years ago. If you do have a working version, like X3, I'd recommend using it to convert your UFO files to a format like TIFF, that can be read in AP.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Yes, I still have a working copy of PhotoImpact.  Corel discontinued it but it is available from a new developer called Nova Development.  I stopped using it when I made the switch to Affinity.  The problem is UFO files, like aphoto and psd, contain layers and I don't want to loose those or their attributes.  I used PI for over 15 years, so that's probably three years of not stop opening and saving ... LOL With AP offering support for other formats I wouldn't think this would be too hard from Serif to bust out in an update.

3 hours ago, LocNetMonster said:

Corel discontinued it but it is available from a new developer called Nova Development. 

Nova has forever offered their version of PI. It's not the same as Ulead/Corel's. I've also used PI for years, back before Corel purchased Ulead. I was an Admin of Ulead, then Corel's help forum.

My reply above was due to the UFO format being a discontinued format, Serif might not want to support it. I agree it would be nice if they did. I just installed PI X3 to check somethings. The only other program I'm aware of that supports UFO, keeping it's layers intact, is Corel's PaintShop Pro. I just opened some UFO files from PI in PSP 2020, and all the layers were intact, nothing flattened. So I'm pretty sure most all earlier versions should, at least back to after Corel bought it from Jasc. Just another way to open them and convert.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 3 years later...

I am still using photoimpact and have a lot of ufo files. It would be nice if my next editing software could open them. Photoimpact is not compatible with Windows 11 so I am going to have to move to something.

2 hours ago, timtak said:

I am still using photoimpact and have a lot of ufo files. It would be nice if my next editing software could open them. Photoimpact is not compatible with Windows 11 so I am going to have to move to something.

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately Corel (and Nova), are the only producers of software that can open UFO files. It's a proprietary working file, just like afphoto, afdesign, and afpub are working file formats for Serif's Affinity products. It's probably not in Serif's sights.

FWIW, I have a few Corel products installed, Paintshop Pro, recognizes the old Ulead File Object (UFO) file format.

EDITED:

I tried opening some UFO files using Paintshop Pro 2023 and Photo Paint. Sadly, they no longer will open the UFO file format. While PSP shows in their format list UFO format, it freezes, and must be forced closed via the task manager.

So my advice is if you can still run PhotoImpact, and want to access those UFO files, use it to convert the files to PSD. PI will save the layers/objects, and Affinity Photo will open the PSD files.

Thank you Ron,

Yes, I am aware that it is a proprietary file. I am not sure of the significance of it being a working file but, Libre Office can open Word files, and Photoimpact can open Photoshop files etc. so, if Serif were to put .ufo files in their sights they would, I think, theoretically be able to open them without loss of layers.

I think that there are still quite a few people who use Photoimpact still but since it won't install on W11 (I hear) these people will be looking for somewhere to go. I am sure Corel would prefer we move to Paintshop Pro but I don't like Corel and have heard good things about Affinity.

Tim

Edited by timtak

2 minutes ago, timtak said:

Thank you Ron,

Yes, I am aware that it is a proprietary file. I am not sure of the significance of it being working but, Libre office can open WOrd files, and Photoimpact can open Photoshop files so, if Serif were to put .ufo files in their sights they would, I think, theoretically be able to open them without loss of layers.

I think that there are still quite a few people who use photoimpact still but since it won't install on W11 (I hear) these people will be lookiing for somewhere to go. I am sure Corel would prefer we move to Paintshop Pro but I don't like Corel and have heard good things about Affinity.

Tim

I added to my prior post. PSP will no longer open UFO files. I did install PI x13, and tested some formats to save the UFO files to. PI will save to PSD and the layers are preserved. AP will open those PSD files with the layers intact. That's about the only option I can see.

Maybe Serif will surprise us by tackling the UFO format. IMHO, I doubt it, as there's probably very few that would benefit from it.