You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't move or delete Text Frame

I've added a text frame to a page, and made some edits, such as adding a coloured border.

Since then I haven't been able to select, move, edit, or delete the text frame. I can edit the content, but not the frame itself.

The frame has very small 'x' icons instead of handles.

I've tried several key combinations, and checked to see if anything is locked, and it appears not.

2 minutes ago, jonwright said:

The frame has very small 'x' icons instead of handles.

Makes me think it is locked. Check your layers pane. The other thing is that it sounds as if it (the text frame) is on an applied master page which is why you can't move it, etc.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi Old Bruce, thanks for the reply.

The layer doesn't seem to be locked, and the text frame was working fine until a while ago, I'm not working on a master page,

I've attached an image of my layers panel, the only differnce I can see is that there isn't a red line on the left of the layer.

Screenshot 2019-08-22 at 14.07.25.png

Those layers are all on the Master A Master Page and therefore if you want to manipulate them you can do so by going to the Master Page (which will only show the Text Frames, not the entered text) and doing the manipulation there or Right Clicking on the layer named (Master A) and choosing Edit Detached from the drop down menu.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Okay, so I've managed to find a solution of sorts.

I re-applied the Master A to the page, which removed the text frame.

I've added another frame, which appears as it should, above the master. I've no idea how the other text frame ended up within the template layers.

Screenshot 2019-08-22 at 14.48.42.png

Glad you sorted it, and I agree in that I too have no idea how you got the text frame to move into the Master A master page layer.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I too have no idea how you got the text frame to move into the Master A master page layer.

I know of two possible scenarios. Both start with right-clicking on the Master Page layer on the page and choosing Edit Detached. Then, before clicking Finish or navigating away from the page:

1. Drag another document layer into the Master Page layer.
    or
  2. With a layer in the Master Page layer selected, add a new object on the document page. The new object will be created in the Master Page layer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Pinning a page text frame to a Master Page text frame then unpinning it will also leave it within the Master Page layer

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.