You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resizing Documents feature request

I don't know if there is a theory behind this action or not. I will be making file sizes and dimension up for this example and this process works for me when going to print photos. I hope it's easy to follow.

1. Let's say I have an image that is 5x8 at 1200 ppi and is 5MB in size. In photoshop the resize window shows width, height, ppi, and size in MB. I can alter the dimensions or ppi and photoshop will interactively recalibrate the overall size of the file.

2. If I want to use the photo at a larger size I will alter the H x W as large as I can and still retain the file size at 5MB. I try to resize photos at 300 ppi for archival purposes but I know that I can resize the photo up to a minimum of 188 ppi for printing. So for this example, say I rescale at 8 x10 @ 200ppi (again I'm making these numbers up). It always creates a photo that's printable without pixelization. As long as I retain the overall size of the file at 5MB it has worked for me.

3. The interactive adjustment of the dimensions and file size would be a great feature. Also AP's resize window does not show which value is the width and which is the height . . .

Thanks.

The size of the image file on disk (in KB or MB) will depend on the pixel dimensions (and compression). If you want to play with sizing, use pixels in the width and height boxes. You will find that, if you have resampling unticked,  then changing the dpi (or ppi) will not change the overall image size. 

I take it that the size 5x8 means 5inches by 8inches. Changing the dpi from 1200 to 300 will change the dimensions in inches, but will not affect the file size on screen or as saved on disk.  Whether it changes your image size on printing, will depend on your printer driver and how you scale the image. Most users set the dpi to the resolution of the printer for convenience. 

The resize document in Affinity dialog does not give the saved file size, but if you use File > Export, then you will get a dialog that does. You do not have to commit to saving.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630