You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

To big to export an A0 600dpi document ?

Hi Affinity team

I'm trying to export a A0 document I created in Affinity Designer in my new iPad Pro. I need to print it so I created it in 600dpi as requested by the printers. Printers also want it as a PDF file so I'm trying to export it as a PDF.

Unfortunately I get a message and a clock saying 'Generating export ... ' but it never does.

I can generat the file as JPEG and is 35MB.

QUESTIONS :

1- Is there any reason why it doesn't export it as PDF?

2- Does reduce the file's weight by merging all the layers and deleting the ones not needed?

Thank you for the support

Àgata

• Staff

Hi Agata and Welcome to the Forums,

Would really need to see the .afdesign file for this in order to see why it's not exporting.  I just tried this on a test A0 file i have and didn't have any issues but it was a very basic file.

You may find flattening does help and certainly wouldn't hurt to try that.  I'd suggest making a copy of the file before trying that.

If you can either attach the .afdesign file to this thread or upload it to our Dropbox here and i'll see what the issue is :) 

1 hour ago, Agata said:

I'm trying to export a A0 document I created in Affinity Designer in my new iPad Pro. I need to print it so I created it in 600dpi as requested by the printers.

The area of an A0 document is one square metre, so I don’t understand why your printers are requesting 600 DPI. The typical viewing distance for a document of that size doesn’t warrant a resolution of more than 200 DPI, and even 150 DPI would probably suffice.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

15 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The area of an A0 document is one square metre, so I don’t understand why your printers are requesting 600 DPI. The typical viewing distance for a document of that size doesn’t warrant a resolution of more than 200 DPI, and even 150 DPI would probably suffice. 

Not really, you may need a proper resolution for applications like maps, architectural drawings, city plans... all detailed, where proper, percise hi-dpi print is necessary.

9 minutes ago, CLC said:

Not really, you may need a proper resolution for applications like maps, architectural drawings, city plans... all detailed, where proper, percise hi-dpi print is necessary.

Good point! I hadn’t considered such a scenario.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)