Joachim_L

PDF import: Spot colour information in a gradient gets converted

1. Make a new CMYK document.

2. Import a PDF containing a gradient built with spot colours.

Result: Gradient is converted to CMYK.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 8 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

This seems to be more a problem related to listing the opened/imported spot colors in Publisher than lack of support of spot colors when opening or importing a pdf with spot colors (and subsequently producing a print pdf). This happens whether you have a spot color in a solid object, or as a component in a gradient (the other end of which having a tint value of 0 of the specified spot color).

Please try this with the attached pdf with a gradient and solid object using PMS Process Blue (produced with InDesign). When you open (or import) the pdf in Publisher and the produce a print PDF, the spot color is correctly maintained.

You just cannot see that the spot color status is maintained, unless you create a document palette and then create a swatch based on the imported color. When you do, you can see that the swatch has the spot color mark in the bottom right corner of the swatch. See the attached APub file.

pms_gradient_plus_solid.pdf

pms_gradient_plus_solid_fromapub.pdf

pms_gradient_plus_solid.afpub

EDIT: Sorry, failed to understand that you meant a gradient between two different spot colors (rather than a ramp of one spot color just fading out). Yes, gradients between two spot color values are indeed converted to CMYK.

A further note on this: PMS gradients between two different spot colors are converted to CMYK not only when importing a PDF but also when produced from a native .apub file where the end colors are specified with PMS values. See the attached files.

So rather than a bug, this seems to be a feature not (yet) supported (???)

pms_gradient_apub.afpub

pms_gradients_fromapub.pdf

Thx for confirming. So why is a gradient possible with ONE spot but not with TWO?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 8 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

A good question, as it basically just adds another gray scale ramp and is technically much the same task as supporting more than one spot color in a document. But it may have something to do with the fact that that spot color definitions are not expicitly listed, anyway, nor are gradient definitions (e.g., so that end colors specified with swatches would show this status after the colors have been assigned), so they tend to get converted to document color space in more complex scenarios.

@Lagarto This is weird. You picked those Pantone colours from list inside Publisher? I made myself a application wide palette with some colours including HKS 7 and some tone variants of it. Created a gradient from HKS 7 100% to HKS 7 28% and exported without any problem.

Funny thing in your Publisher document is, that Pantone Blue does not appear in the PDF as colour, in fact even Rhodamine is ignored in the upper gradient. But Pantone works as spot colour. For testing I just added two squares with just Blue and Rhodamine.

------

Yes, Publisher uses component values of the color model (HLS; RGB, CMYK etc), and libarary names (e.g., from Pantone) if you create a swatch as a local color (you can then subsequently convert the swatch global from the context menu). PMS color names also appear if you list the library colors with color names (Appearance > Show as list on the Swatches panel menu).

The Pantone Blue does not appear in the PDF because Publisher has converted the gradient between the two PMS colors (Rhodamine and Pantone Blue) to CMYK. But it has been defined in the Publisher file as the other end of the gradient color.

I guess still not fixed? Spot to white (or any other non-spot) working, spot to spot not. :(

------