You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Applying a mask on grouped adjustment layers doens't work anymore

If I wanted to apply the same mask to a few layer adjustments, I used to group them together and apply the mask to the group (see picture).

That used to, until the last update...

Now it masks my picture (it masks out the image, instead of only the grouped effects).

What can I do to go back to my original state?

Thanks!

Schermafbeelding 2019-08-22 om 11.23.24.png

8 minutes ago, timo906 said:

What can I do to go back to my original state?

It's a known bug that's being investigated but someone in support said adding an empty pixel layer to the group will cure the problem for now

(I think that's what they said?  Don't have time to find that post again)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

It's a known bug that's being investigated but someone in support said adding an empty pixel layer to the group will cure the problem for now

(I think that's what they said?  Don't have time to find that post again)

Ah, ok! Thanks for the quick reply man!

• Staff
1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Hi timo906 :)

The above is correct, we're aware of a bug currently that stops masks from working correctly with in a group of adjustment layers only. Adding a blank pixel layer into this group and then forcing a refresh of the canvas (simply zoom out and back in) and you should find this resolves the issue for you!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

23 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi timo906 :)

The above is correct, we're aware of a bug currently that stops masks from working correctly with in a group of adjustment layers only. Adding a blank pixel layer into this group and then forcing a refresh of the canvas (simply zoom out and back in) and you should find this resolves the issue for you!

This workaround doesn't really work for me. Yes, it caused the mask to stop covering my background layer, but it also canceled the effects of my levels adjustment layer which was the starting point of the group, putting me back to square one.

• Staff

I'm sorry to hear this, adding a blank pixel layer shouldn't affect the adjustments, unless the adjustment has been automatically clipped to the new layer. Could you please provide a screenshot of your layers panel for me?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Sadly, this workaround also doesn't work for me.

I tested it out with this file:

1.  I made a group with two adjustment layers (HSL sat is turned down all the way) 

1535578347_Schermafbeelding2019-08-23om13_02_58.thumb.png.4a663ee4a97b249c113df9eecb5c270b.png

2. I applied a mask, and as expected it masked out the entire image

1640219930_Schermafbeelding2019-08-23om13_03_54.thumb.png.bb91110a04f2e2d2d72ea6f7f608ac1e.png

3. I added a blank pixel layer as mentioned above and reset the image by zooming out entirely.

1918133958_Schermafbeelding2019-08-23om13_05_57.thumb.png.06842fb36d74151bcdc7bd93c7a55cfa.png

As you can see; the entire adjustment layer group is cancelled out, as mentioned above by ctrubac

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

I'm sorry to hear this, adding a blank pixel layer shouldn't affect the adjustments, unless the adjustment has been automatically clipped to the new layer. Could you please provide a screenshot of your layers panel for me?

First screenshot shows before adding the pixel layer. Second is after adding it. Third is after adding the pixel layer and unchecking the levels adjustment to demonstrate that the levels adjustment is having no effect on the photo. Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 8.05.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 8.06.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 8.06.34 AM.png

• Staff

Thanks for your examples, I'm sorry to see this hasn't helped and I'll be updating our development log now with these findings.

In the meantime, a workaround for this issue can be found below -

Firstly, delete the newly added blank pixel layer. Secondly, select the mask from the group and duplicate this for as many adjustment layers that you have grouped. Now, nest each mask layer against each adjustment layer. You should now find the masks are applied correctly, to the adjustment itself and not the pixels beneath, as can be seen in my screenshot -

image.png

I hope this resolves things for you - apologies for any inconveniences caused!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 6:03 PM, inkas said:

Please, fix this issue, because of such problem the Affinity is unfortunatelly useless for me. I had to go back with my works to Photoshop.

Making multiple identical masks for every adjustment layer is not a good solution.

Could You tell us when this problem will be fixed?

Agree -- I'm trying to be patient but honestly I feel this should have been addressed by now. It's no small thing. 

• Staff

This issue will be fixed in our next beta v1.7.3 - we hope to have this released shortly, keep an eye on the following section of the Forums -

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/61-affinity-photo-beta-forums/

7 hours ago, Dan C said:

This issue will be fixed in our next beta v1.7.3 - we hope to have this released shortly, keep an eye on the following section of the Forums -

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/61-affinity-photo-beta-forums/

Great, the problem is fixed in the new beta (...3.476)

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

I don't think Serif realise how bad this is ...

I stopped using AFP because of the several serious masking issues I reported 2-3 years back. Nothing was done until 1.7, which fixed some of them, but even then, not fully.

Yesterday morning I had a client asking for some variations on some images, from back then and I've just spent an hour trying to work out what the heck is going on.

I realise that most amateurs don't get into much compositing, but it's crucial to many pros and this is definitely NOT what I would call a professional approach.  When I suggested a couple of years back, to one of Serif's forum guys, that he was talking crap, when he said it's normal that a Preview doesn't reflect the result, he reported me for bad behaviour, which I guess was an unfortunate pointer and it doesn't look like anything has improved.

I'm fairly annoyed right now, which doesn't seem like the attitude you want to be encouraging.

Serif really really really needs to address ALL of these masking issues as quickly as possible.

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

Just now, haakoo said:

Well, goodbye then

Thanks haakoo.  That's just the attitude.  Perhaps you work for Serif??

Anyway, I already said goodbye, but seeing as it's my profession, I have to deal with the past as well as the future.

Just now, MEB said:

Hi GFS,
This mask issue was caused by a bug introduced in the latest app update. It's now fixed in the latest Beta and the fix will be include in the next retail update. Apologies for all the trouble this has caused you.

Hi MEB,

thanks for the reply.  I couldn't find a Mac beta to use instead, so I had to workaround ... neither of the above 'fixes' actually fixed it for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi delamoph,

Welcome to the forums :)

15 hours ago, delamoph said:

Any news about when is this fix going to be released for iPad?

This bug was fixed in the latest update, version 1.7.3 - please make sure your app is fully up to date through the App Store. If you're still having trouble then please post a new thread in the iPad section of our forums here.