You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm trying to update 1.7.1.404 to 1.7.2. After a few seconds, I get and alert box with:

Exception: CreateDirectory failed

And my only option is to exit. I'm running Win7, 64bit. What directory is it trying to create?

Thanks.

If you press and hold the Windows key, then type R, you'll get a Run box. In that box, type

%temp%\AffinitySetup

and press OK.

You'll get a FIle Explorer window opened to the directory that contains the logs of your setup attempts.  Find the directory with the most recent date/time, and in it you'll find two files, Setup.log and SetupUI.log with additional information. You can browse them with Notepad or another text editor, and usually searching for the word Error will get you to the location with more detailed information.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi AmRes,

Welcome to the forums :)

Could you please follow Walts above advice and attach the latest SetupUI.log to your reply here? Many thanks!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Problem solved!

I have my system temp directory on an SSD, and it was offline when  I tried to run the install.  Once I brought it back online, the install ran smoothly and VERY quietly. It would be nice if the installer would throw a message box on the screen letting the user know that it's alive and running. 

Thanks for the quick assist!

I Have the same problem. The setup for 1.7.2 update terminates.

The log says:
+Info: CustomAction  returned actual error code 1612 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
+Error: The older version of Affinity Photo cannot be removed.  Contact your technical support group.

I have uninstalled with Geek Uninstaller AND scrubbed the registry AND deleted the Affinity/Photo folder. Still the same message.

• Staff

Hi Richard Krogstad,

Welcome to the forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having these issues, could you please provide a copy of your SetupUI.log here?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I have tried to download a Trial Photo - but it somehows detect a prior installation in the Setup, and start looking for the non-existant installation I guess. Any .ini file or any registry value I can set somewhere? I've been working with computers most of my life - turning more and more towards Linux now.

• Staff

Thanks for your file, we'll need to use a Microsoft uninstaller tool to fix the previous installation before installed the update - as I can see that you're updating from version 1.6.5.135.

Firstly please download the following tool from Microsoft, this will remove any version of Photo that is currently installed and allow us to start from a clean state.
https://support.microsoft.com/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed

After downloading, please run the tool, select Uninstall and wait for the list to populate. Select Affinity Photo from the list of apps, if you don't see this option, select the first option in the menu and paste the following string, then press OK:

{7392FB3E-25B1-4337-90F1-8F481E6631A1}

After the app has finished uninstalling, please visit the following link and download a new copy of the latest version of the .EXE just in case your previous download was corrupt-
https://store.serif.com/update/windows/photo/1/

Once downloaded, locate the file in your Downloads folder and right-click on the file and select 'Run as Administrator'. Follow the app prompts and you should find this version installs as expected.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Do you know which version of Affinity Photo you were most recently using before attempting to update? Your SetupUI.log provided shows the same product code I provided under the following:

IsAnyVersionInstalled: True
        Current product code: {7392FB3E-25B1-4337-90F1-8F481E6631A1}

We don't ever recommend manually cleaning the registry, nor using third party uninstaller applications as this can affect the install/uninstall process of the Affinity apps beyond our control. Unfortunately licenses are non transferable between platforms, meaning we can't provide Mac product keys if you've purchased the Windows version.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

I'm very glad to hear this, many thanks for letting me know! :D

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...
On 8/22/2019 at 9:35 AM, Dan C said:

Thanks for your file, we'll need to use a Microsoft uninstaller tool to fix the previous installation before installed the update - as I can see that you're updating from version 1.6.5.135.

Firstly please download the following tool from Microsoft, this will remove any version of Photo that is currently installed and allow us to start from a clean state.
https://support.microsoft.com/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed

After downloading, please run the tool, select Uninstall and wait for the list to populate. Select Affinity Photo from the list of apps, if you don't see this option, select the first option in the menu and paste the following string, then press OK:

{7392FB3E-25B1-4337-90F1-8F481E6631A1}

After the app has finished uninstalling, please visit the following link and download a new copy of the latest version of the .EXE just in case your previous download was corrupt-
https://store.serif.com/update/windows/photo/1/

Once downloaded, locate the file in your Downloads folder and right-click on the file and select 'Run as Administrator'. Follow the app prompts and you should find this version installs as expected.

Dan, thanks so much!  I followed these instructions and *finally* got my trial version running.  It would pop up the install permission box and then it just did nothing.  This fixed it.  Thx!