You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Designer) How can I make grid snapping work? I have a grid set to 80/4 I want everything to start on the grid and be resized to the grid. I don't want any way to move/resize to something not a multiple of the grid (in this case 20.0). This has been a basic feature of most drawing packages since the 1980s (I wrote such thing back then on Mac in fact). But there are so many options and settings and none seem to let me do that. I am always winding up with objects that are located at x.7 with a width of y.3. It's not a pixel boundary I want but a grid size boundary. Any way to do this?

Device: Apple M1 Ultra 64GB Ventura 13.0.1 Apple Studio Display

- Andrew

16 hours ago, Florida said:

I don't want any way to move/resize to something not a multiple of the grid (in this case 20.0).

I set my preferences (on Mac by the way) to this

791417114_ScreenShot2019-08-22at7_38_49AM.png.619b27b78de9883a1e65e273e6cab520.png

and it seems to work whether or not I have the grid showing. I don't entirely understand some of your terms, I guess 80/4 means a grid of 80 units and 4 divisions and then this "...I am always winding up with objects that are located at x.7 with a width of y.3. It's not a pixel boundary I want but a grid size boundary. ..." Are you pasting things in or are you drawing them? Is that x 0.7, y 0.3 or x 7, y 3?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Drawing and moving them. Even with snapping on I can easily have the object size not be a multiple of the grid size or wind up with the object not on a grid boundary.

So my grid size is 20 (80/4) I wind up with a rectangle located at 80.7 with a width of 40.3 for example. This means I can't make pixel perfect layouts without things getting way off. There are seems to be no snap to grid action either. So once everything gets off of the grid fixing it requires typing in the size or location to fix it, which is sort of dumb since this is a simple feature to implement for an application developer. If I wanted things to not be on a grid I could draw them freehand with a pencil instead.

Device: Apple M1 Ultra 64GB Ventura 13.0.1 Apple Studio Display

- Andrew