You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash when opening document

Hello, 

I had been working on a document, but now when trying to reopen it Publisher crashes every time, so I can not export it. 

I checked the crash log and it seems it's related to some missing images:

0   liblibpersona.dylib               0x000000011eb00dd3 DocumentController::ReloadRemappedImages() + 739
1   liblibpersona.dylib               0x000000011eaee1c4 DocumentController::CollateMissingImageResources() + 2580
2   liblibpersona.dylib               0x000000011eae4da6 DocumentController::LoadDocument(Kernel::StringT<Kernel::TEncUtf8> const&, bool, bool, LoadDocumentMode, Kernel::Counted<LoadDocumentOptions const>, OpenDocumentFailedNotification&, bool) + 198

I can send you the document if you need. It would be great to have a workaround, but there are a few images, so not sure which one was changed and is now missing... If you can modify the document and send it back to me without any of the images for example, that would be awesome so that I don't have to redo everything.

Thank you already for your help.

Pierre

• Staff

Hi Pierre,

If your linked images are in one location, you can try renaming that location so that the link is properly broken, which might allow the file to open and then you can re-link the images.

If that fails upload it here and I'll take a look

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your reply.

Well unfortunately images come from a few folders. If I rename the root folder where a LOT of my media is, then indeed I can open the project. But I can't leave that folder with a different name, as it will screw up a lot of other projects that I have. And when I open the project, I don't know which image is causing the issue. And I don't see them being "offline" (which is weird, but maybe because path is relative), they all seem to be there.

I tried a few images, removed them, saved the project, saved it, then renamed back the folder to the initial name, reopen the project and it crashed again.

So I have sent you the project if you could point out to me which image might be causing the issue, I'd be happy to remove it, or find another solution.

Thank you!

Pierre

• Staff

The file received contains only embedded images and no linked images, and opens fine for me here with no prompt on missing images.

Just to double check, did you definitely send the right version of the file? 

I've PM'd you a version of it that I've re-saved, i'm curious if this opens for you without crashing.

Thank you but unfortunately the file you sent crashed as well.

I tried a few things:

• Created a new document, then copy/paste everything => crash
  • Tried to remove all images from document => no problem
  • Tried to identify which image would cause the issue by removing one by one, and changing, could not find a specific image. I may have missed one specific one, but it takes a long time to remove, restart, reopen, etc...

Not sure where to go from here.

Pierre

• Staff

I've seen crashes like this before but they are always linked resources in the file, your file contains only embedded resources so why it's crashing going through some linked resource code is odd, which is why I've double checked you sent the right file.

When you get into the file, does your resource manager also report every resource as being embedded? Do you get a message on open about missing resources?

Hi Jon,

Sorry I did not see your reply earlier, just saw the "notify" option.

In the resource manager, every resource were embedded, and I did not have a warning about a missing resource.

Now even weirder. Previously I was able to open the file by renaming a folder. Now I can't anymore. :-( Even files that this morning I could open (and that were not modified since then as they were previous versions of the same document that I kept just in case are now not opening anymore.

I'm really stumped and don't know where to look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pierre

Hi john,

A little update:

• I opened a pdf file that I luckily did export.
  • Then I had a document that I tested earlier which had no image linked at all. That was my last project still opening.
  • I copied and pasted (so I kept my maters and guides) all the images (as well as some test that had been modified) from the pdf to the publisher document.
  • I tried to save and reopen the document on Friday. It was working fine. I saved multiple versions.
  • But today, wanted to reopen and they crashed. This starts to be pretty annoying...

I am sending you 2 documents:

• IBC2019_A4_v06_Reimported.afpub - is the document that I just imported from the pdf, then saved. => it opens correctly.
  • IBC2019_A4_v07_CopiedImagesFrom6.afpub - is the "image-less" document into which I copied the images from v06. => it crashes.

So if you check the differences between the 2 documents, this may put you on tracks for an explanation to this issue which I'd very much like see resolved.

Thank you.

Pierre

• Staff

Neither crash for me, but this will be because I'm missing the linked image that's causing the crash.

The file that crashes for you contains alot of embedded images from the clipboard (makes sense since you copied and pasted items across).

It contains a PSD called MacProProfile which seems to have been inserted from your local drive, if you rename/change the location of this file I would be interested to know if you still get a crash when opening.

Either way, I am looking into this as I've had a similar report, and have already notified the devs.

Good catch Jon! 

If I rename the file, the "IBC2019_A4_v07_CopiedImagesFrom6" opens  fine. Then tried:

• rename it back to the original name => v07 document crashes on open
  • then changed again the name so I could open the document. Then in resource manager, used the "Replace" function to link to the new name. Closed document and reopen. No crash... So it's not something with the document itself. But in any case I have sent it to you. You'll see nothing really fancy in there.

Pierre

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

We believe the issue "Embedded resources are treated as linked internally, leading to crash" has been fixed in 1.8.0 [Publisher beta is currently available if you care to try]. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon