Jump to content
srg

smudge tool behaves like erase tool

Recommended Posts

Hello, I found that the smudge tool at times behaves like the erase tool.

See the screen shot of the "marks" left by the smudge tool.

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 12.17.39 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what I'm looking at ;) but playing around with the 'Spacing' value in the brush parameters can help if the Smudge tool is not behaving well. I've set mine very low for smudge brushes.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thomasp said:

Not sure what I'm looking at ;) but playing around with the 'Spacing' value in the brush parameters can help if the Smudge tool is not behaving well. I've set mine very low for smudge brushes.

 

 

 

What I am saying is that the smudge tool sometimes erase rather than smudge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi srg,
Please check carefully which layer you have selected when smudging and if it has transparent areas/parts. In documents with several layers/elements cut out from other layers that seem to fill the entire document with pixels it's easy to smudge from a transparent part of another layer giving the idea you are deleting rather than smudging because you are actually pushing transparent pixels from these transparent areas. If that's not the case let me know and I will provide a link for you to upload the file for inspection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi srg,
Please check carefully which layer you have selected when smudging and if it has transparent areas/parts. In documents with several layers/elements cut out from other layers that seem to fill the entire document with pixels it's easy to smudge from a transparent part of another layer giving the idea you are deleting rather than smudging because you are actually pushing transparent pixels from these transparent areas. If that's not the case let me know and I will provide a link for you to upload the file for inspection.

Hi MEB

It seems like it is exposing the layer underneath as you said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 1:22 AM, srg said:

What I am saying is that the smudge tool sometimes erase rather than smudge.

As said - play with the spacing parameter: if set too high it creates a patchy brush streak that partially exposes whatever is under the current layer. It'll need to be really low to create a smooth, continuous look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×