You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Public Beta (1.2.1.26106 RC1)

• Staff

Purpose: Features / Improvements / Fixes

Requirements: None

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download: http://affinity.seri...m/beta-download

Update: Run the app to get the link / click download above.

Features / Improvements / Fixes

- PSB file import.

- Per-channel blending options.
- RAW metadata improvements.
- Two new samples.
- Restored 3D LUT adjustment presets to presets panel.
- Printing improvements.

- Export improvements.
- Document icon improvements.
- LAB blend modes improved.
- Further Develop Persona improvements, notably highlight recovery.
- Numerous PSD import improvements.
- Interlaced PNG fixes.
- Live filters improved.
- Significant localisation and help improvements.

- Fixed terrible crashes on 10.7, 10.8.
- Numerous small stability / performance improvements.

Great news!

I guess you haven't yet been able to address issues with the export persona, as some problems persist:

EXIF information in jpg files is missing when using the export persona

Color of the exported image is "flat" when the ICC profile is set to "use document profile" -> one has to select sRGB manually to make it work (also in export persona)

Oh and the thumbnails are gone again (as is quick look functionality)

But you probably already know about these quirks ;)

Good job so far!

Great news!

I guess you haven't yet been able to address issues with the export persona, as some problems persist:

EXIF information in jpg files is missing when using the export persona

Color of the exported image is "flat" when the ICC profile is set to "use document profile" -> one has to select sRGB manually to make it work (also in export persona)

Oh and the thumbnails are gone again (as is quick look functionality)

But you probably already know about these quirks ;)

Good job so far!

Exif information is missing in jpgs just using the Export functionality as well. Perhaps both conditions (File -> Export and Export Persona) utilize the same software. I don't know.

Some exif information is also still missing in tiffs when exported from raw images.

Exif information is missing in jpgs just using the Export functionality as well. Perhaps both conditions (File -> Export and Export Persona) utilize the same software. I don't know.

Some exif information is also still missing in tiffs when exported from raw images.

Really? That's weird. For me EXIF information persists using File -> Export and selecting "jpg Highest Quality" ! Also the color is right using this method

Thanks for this update, Andy … so good to have Photo back … started the app one moment ago, opened a 130 megapixel file from last week and was instantly amazed by the app speed again … can’t wait to see it hit the stores …  :)

Hi Jack,

Can you send the file to support@seriflabs.com to be checked out (with a small description of the issue)?

Thanks.

Did a reset and booted up again and everything is fine now.So no worries.

Really? That's weird. For me EXIF information persists using File -> Export and selecting "jpg Highest Quality" ! Also the color is right using this method

What type of image are using as the original? Raw? Tif? Jpg?

For me, when I opened a raw or jpg image with exif information and exported it as a jpg I got no exif information in the output. None. Zero. And I did select jpg Highest Quality, but I did not try opening a tif and exporting a jpg.

Here is a post with more details about exactly what is happening to me: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/9626-exif-information-if-exportedsaved-images/

UPDATE:

I just loaded a tif into APB and exported it as a jpg and did not get any exif information in the output. My question is why your exported jpgs have exif information and mine don't.

Exciting 26106 seems snappier, very nice but I am getting some odd behaviour using Overlays in Develop module. 

You now have a master layer in the overlay panel, if you click off this layer, before creating a new layer, Afp crashes:

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

Then if you create a gradient overlay &/or a brush overlay, and then go to the other panels, tones, detail, lens they are locked. Until the master layer in the overlay panel is reselected.  Maybe this is deliberate?

And clicking off an overlay layer, no longer switches off the effect, which was handy for comparison, is there another way to do this that i’m missing?

My take on the Develop Assistant has been pretty favourable, I have found opening raw works well since the last version, I think the initial state settings in the DA quite handy option, which are easily adjusted or switched off.

I am still incredibly disappointed with the fact you have to export a PSD even if you are working on one. Exporting a PSD over itself while working on it is ridiculous. You never know if you are using the corrrect version or not. Please add the ability to just save back to the file your working on without having to make a .afphoto file.

Also in this version if you export with an exposure layer neither photoshop or APB can open it. This is the same bug as I mentioned in the beta.

I am still incredibly disappointed with the fact you have to export a PSD even if you are working on one. Exporting a PSD over itself while working on it is ridiculous. You never know if you are using the corrrect version or not. Please add the ability to just save back to the file your working on without having to make a .afphoto file.

We're unlikely to do that, because a "save" should preserve all the document information, and an Affinity document contains a lot of information that .psd doesn't. Affinity Photo is not Photoshop and does not use the same document format.

So I followed the link for RC1 and the download was for 26124 and no new logo!

26124? I got 26106 when I downloaded. is there a newer version available? I don't see a download notice when I start APB (or, as I am now calling it, RC1).

26106 here.

Yes. But the current download is 26124. I don't know if it is official or only an accident, but that is what you get if you download now.

I downloaded 26106 yesterday and have been working with it but the link now points to 26124.

We're unlikely to do that, because a "save" should preserve all the document information, and an Affinity document contains a lot of information that .psd doesn't. Affinity Photo is not Photoshop and does not use the same document format.

Then what are the chances Lightroom will support .afphoto ;)

Maybe a Lightroom plugin to export to .afphoto is needed.

I will have to send Adobe a few requests.

Until then can you look at the exporting with an exposure layer bug.

Regards

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.