You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

how can I forget / reset the rotation of an object?
Once the object is rotated it remembers it's original 0° rotation, which is mostly useful.

E.g. if i rotate a shape in Publisher > convert to Picture Frame > Place an Image
… the placed image is also rotated.

Is there any way to rotate an object and afterwards reset it's rotation to 0°.

Thank you in advance!

• Staff

Hi Affiniter,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You don't need to reset the rotation of the shape (now picture frame) to fix the image position. Double-click the image on canvas (to select it directly) then set the rotation field to 0 in the Transform panel.

On 8/21/2019 at 9:48 AM, Affiniter said:

Is there any way to rotate an object and afterwards reset it's rotation to 0°.

Create a larger object over it, select both and perform an intersect operation (menu Layer > Geometry > Intersect).

• 6 months later...
On 8/21/2019 at 10:58 AM, MEB said:

Hi Affiniter,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You don't need to reset the rotation of the shape (now picture frame) to fix the image position. Double-click the image on canvas (to select it directly) then set the rotation field to 0 in the Transform panel.

Crate a larger object over it, select both and perform an intersect operation (menu Layer > Geometry > Intersect).

Is that the only workaround in Affinity Designer as well?

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, davidtch said:

Hello,

I would like to reset the rotation of my canvas to 0° and not of an element. How to do it ?

Thank you for your help

View > Reset Rotation.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks Old Bruce for your reply but I tried it doesn't work at all. I'm on Affinity Designer. I see View > Reste Rotation (Ctrl + Alt + Maj +R).
I tried :

• the artboard itself
  • a group of objects
  • an object inside and outside the artboard

the function does not seem to work...

My AD version is 1.10.4.1198

I am going to guess and say that the Canvas itself is at 0 degrees and everything else is rotated.

Select something and look at the Transform panel there is a section for rotation. You can see how things look like the canvas has been rotated but it isn't.

2119049344_ScreenShot2021-11-28at10_08_46AM.png.ae2a0328c67e15d43e3723b9f98f336d.png Canvas at 0 degrees.

2018347405_ScreenShot2021-11-28at10_07_50AM.png.07596b94b7323ef9cfdecca77b9386f5.png Canvas at 40 degrees.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 8 months later...

The above solution did not work for Affinity Designer despite selecting reset rotation. I could group it or other things, but that didn't help with what I was trying to do. I wanted to use OCR on the image, but the OCR software kept reading a scanned page as upside down. I ended up switching to the Pixel Persona and rasterizing the scanned images in the PDF and that eliminated the rotation value. 

How about building an Acrobat Pro type program? Preview on a MAC is pretty good, but lacks key features like bookmarks and OCR. Seems like you guys have all the necessary tools in the other apps except for OCR.