You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Accessing from a different store (split)

I wish you would create a Microsoft Store version that used the same product key as the Affinity Store version. It would be nice if we could make use of the Microsoft Store update system or stick with the offline installer option as needed. Without having it hinge on the original purchase decision from months earlier.

On 8/16/2019 at 6:30 PM, pixelstuff said:

I wish you would create a Microsoft Store version that used the same product key as the Affinity Store version. It would be nice if we could make use of the Microsoft Store update system or stick with the offline installer option as needed. Without having it hinge on the original purchase decision from months earlier.

you do realise that these on-line stores take a 30% revenue cut of sales, Serif would have to pass that cost on to the consumer.

On pricing via their site, they have it about right, let's stick with that.

4 hours ago, GreyEyes said:

you do realise that these on-line stores take a 30% revenue cut of sales, Serif would have to pass that cost on to the consumer.

On pricing via their site, they have it about right, let's stick with that.

They already sell it on in the Microsoft Store so it shouldn't change the cost anymore than what they are already doing. But, free apps aren't charged a 30% tax and I already have a license number.  So providing the app to me through the Microsoft Store shouldn't cost them anything new, other than designing to app to activate from the same license number.

• Staff

This conversation belongs in the forum dedicated to purchases, not the launch announcement, so I have split it off.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 5:39 AM, pixelstuff said:

They already sell it on in the Microsoft Store so it shouldn't change the cost anymore than what they are already doing. But, free apps aren't charged a 30% tax and I already have a license number.  So providing the app to me through the Microsoft Store shouldn't cost them anything new, other than designing to app to activate from the same license number.

No idea where you got that idea from, they're not giving away a free app, it's a commercial app.

They do have it on the Microsoft store, all 3 apps.  If you get the software via the M$ store you have to pay in order to obtain it,  you can't get the software unless you click buy and complete the checkout process.

If they sell from their own website they don't have to take a 30% hit like they would selling via the M$ store. This isn't taking into account payment processing fees (only a small percentage)

The motive is to sell it via their own site rather than stores, thus generate more revenue, rather than less and pass the cost back to customers via non store sites by inflating the price across the board.

18 hours ago, - S - said:

Microsoft don't take 30%.  They take 5% if the sale was driven by the developer, or 15% if the sale was driven by Microsoft.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/windows/agreements/app-developer-agreement

001.thumb.png.4646bb8dde896f425a549bf4b513c987.png

Ah, there has been a change and it came in March 5th of this year, at the tail end of last year i was looking at the cost of releasing an app via their store they all followed the 30% fee.  I believe there is a case going on against apples 30% fee... hopefully they all follow suit and reducing.

They're only going to pay 5% if it's promoted via a link on the developers site if software is hosted and delivered by Microsoft if self prompted as you say, otherwise the majority that discover the software via the Microsoft store will still cost the developer 15% of each sale, it's still a hit.. i must admit not as bad as 30%. They can promote it themselves for even less than 5% if delivered via their site (which they do).

Your comment about the the license key:

So providing the app to me through the Microsoft Store shouldn't cost them anything new, other than designing to app to activate from the same license number.

That doesn't make sense, if you have a key purchased from serif already, you can't get the software from the M$ store unless you go through the checkout purchase process, i tried it... you'll end up purchasing a 2nd user key... why would you want to do that if you can get the software updates from serif directly?    If you've bought it via the M$ store initially, hopefully they will let you reuse the key via their trial unlock edition on their site or an account via serif.  There is a mac version and they've made it clear you can't reuse a windows key, you have to purchase a mac licence separately (i have both).. unless they've changed the rules since i last looked, it's non transferable, it was one of the questions asked prior.

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2019 at 11:05 AM, GreyEyes said:

That doesn't make sense, if you have a key purchased from serif already, you can't get the software from the M$ store unless you go through the checkout purchase process, i tried it... you'll end up purchasing a 2nd user key... why would you want to do that if you can get the software updates from serif directly?    If you've bought it via the M$ store initially, hopefully they will let you reuse the key via their trial unlock edition on their site or an account via serif.  There is a mac version and they've made it clear you can't reuse a windows key, you have to purchase a mac licence separately (i have both).. unless they've changed the rules since i last looked, it's non transferable, it was one of the questions asked prior.

Well not today. That's what I'm saying needs to be improved.

Put out a "free trial" copy in the store that times out after 14 days or whatever, and let people activate it with a valid license that they already have, or a license that gets purchased through the app.  The benefit being that if you buy from the store and later prefer the standalone version (or vice versa) you can switch back or forth with the same license number.

On 8/16/2019 at 7:30 PM, pixelstuff said:

They already sell it on in the Microsoft Store so it shouldn't change the cost anymore than what they are already doing. But, free apps aren't charged a 30% tax and I already have a license number.  So providing the app to me through the Microsoft Store shouldn't cost them anything new, other than designing to app to activate from the same license number

14 hours ago, amyhimesama1598 said:

They already sell it on in the Microsoft Store so it shouldn't change the cost anymore than what they are already doing. But, free apps aren't charged a 30% tax and I already have a license number.  So providing the app to me through the Microsoft Store shouldn't cost them anything new, other than designing to app to activate from the same license number

But this presupposes something that is not possible, I think.  For reasons of data protection etc. etc. neither Microsoft nor Apple can or will share customer data with Serif, or vice versa.  "Licence numbers", "serial keys" or whatever you choose to call them are exclusive to Affinity products purchased direct from Serif.  Apps purchased through either of the "stores" do NOT have an individual licence key/serial number, they are permanently tied/linked to the Store Account of the owner.  So how can a licence key, purchased direct from Serif, be used in a Store account?

(Just my opinion!!)

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• 4 months later...
On 11/12/2019 at 7:30 AM, emmrecs01 said:

But this presupposes something that is not possible, I think.  For reasons of data protection etc. etc. neither Microsoft nor Apple can or will share customer data with Serif, or vice versa.  "Licence numbers", "serial keys" or whatever you choose to call them are exclusive to Affinity products purchased direct from Serif.  Apps purchased through either of the "stores" do NOT have an individual licence key/serial number, they are permanently tied/linked to the Store Account of the owner.  So how can a licence key, purchased direct from Serif, be used in a Store account?

(Just my opinion!!)

Jeff

It would work like the Adobe apps work from the Windows Store. Where you have an active subscription through Adobe and you download the app for free from the Windows Store and then sign in using your Adobe ID to activate the app. Affinity apps would just be verifying the license number instead of looking for a subscription.

@pixelstuff

I have an Adobe subscription (for just one app) and I've never considered accessing it via the Windows Store, especially since it is "updated" etc via the Creative Cloud app installed on my computer.  However, in this case, the licence "check" is via that CC app to the Adobe server, as I understand it.  (I've actually just checked and my specific app is NOT available via the Windows Store.)

Affinity apps purchased direct from Serif include a licence.xml file installed on the user's computer, i.e. the "verification" is "local", not via a remote server.  The coding of the two licensing "systems", "local" or via the MAS or Windows Store, is clearly quite different to the extent that the two could not easily be set-up to both run simultaneously I think.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Adobe and Affinity are very different in how they work. You can download the apps but they are not licenses by Microsoft or Apple, that is treated like an in app purchase. Affinity is not activated this way and they would need to change their apps and probably back end to allow for activation through your Affinity account like Adobe does. A draw back of this could be limited amount of installs. Adobe CC can be used on 2 machines total. Right now I could install my Affinity apps on every Mac I own (4) and it is controlled through the Apple App store.