You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi folks,

I'm trying to use Affinity Designer's vector brush creation ability and following Paolo Limoncelli's excellent tutorial (on Affinity Spotlight).  I have AD on desktop so perhaps that's part of the issue (his tutorial is for iPad).  He says when you export your brushes you export each slice as PNG 24, but I don't get that as an option ( I just see PNG or PNG 8 dithered).  Do I opt for one of these or should I be seeing PNG-24.  I had a look for previous discussions and someone mentioned not ticking the transparent background box in your document setup, but whether ticked or not the export options are as above.

I completed his tutorial using PNG (as opposed to 8-dithered) and it seemed to work fine so maybe PNG is PNG-24 or maybe I've missed something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Simon

1 hour ago, simoncooper118 said:

I just see PNG or PNG 8 dithered).  Do I opt for one of these or should I be seeing PNG-24.

Those are just the names of presets, or saved sets of export options. If you choose PNG (and possibly look at the options under More...) you will see that it uses the document's color format. So, if you have an RGB/8 document, without transparency, the PNG preset will give you the PNG-24 output format (3*8 = 24).

Serif changed the names of the PNG presets in 1.7. Previously the preset name was PNG-24, which caused confusion because the actual output format might be PNG-24, PNG-32, PNG-48, etc. depending on the document's color format and transparency option.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Tequejas said:

So before axporting a PNG with transparent background i HAVE TO make transparent the background of my document?... WOW! super useful for workflow... who's the genious behind this? 

You have to tell Affinity that you want it to support a transparent background.

You do not necessarily need to have a visible transparent background (that is, you do not need to be able to see the checkerboard), but you have to tell the program that you want transparency in your file.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 4 months later...

I have followed all about directions but for some reason i cannot change the colour of the brush, it is always white. I understand you can use clippin to change the colour but is there a way to get a fully functional brush?

Can you offer some help here please?

2 hours ago, Michael Mike said:

I have followed all about directions but for some reason i cannot change the colour of the brush, it is always white. I understand you can use clippin to change the colour but is there a way to get a fully functional brush?

Can you offer some help here please?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Are you making an Image brush (color cannot be changed) or an Intensity brush (color can be changed)?

-- Walt
PC: