You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Still having issues with imported PDFs

So with certain PDFs generated by Sibelius (not all Sibelius PDFs), Publisher is still not displaying them correctly. I have used three different methods of exporting PDFs from Sibelius: using its built in PDF exporter, using Windows 10 print to PDF, and using CutePDF print to PDF. All three create perfect PDFs when viewed in any other software, but when imported into Publisher they are each messed up in different ways.

With one, the notes will be moved around and misplaced, everything else is fine. In another the title and time signature fonts will have been substituted for no apparent reason, but the notes and everything else are fine. In another the lyrics are all messed up, but everything else is fine... very strange. PDFs attached.

Microsoft PDF.pdf

Cute PDF.pdf

Sibelius PDF.pdf

That simple:

• Sibellius export the PDF with fonts: if openend in AD or APub, the display should depend of the fonts being installed,
  • Microsoft will convert all to curves (but the main title): it'll look nice in AD or APub, but you won't be able to modify more than the title,
  • Cute PDF is a mix: notes are converted to curves, but text stay as text, you should be able to modify it. The problem is text position is messed, and look like a sentence instead of words here and there.

The more interesting option is the Microsoft one.

Well if Publisher could passthrough PDFs it would eliminate all these issues, correct?

The machine I'm running Sibelius on is the same as what I'm running Publisher on, so Publisher has access to all the fonts used in Sibelius. Publisher is also messing up the time signature font in the Microsoft PDF, which is a bigger problem than the title.

Anyway it would be great if Publisher could resolve these issues.

So passthrough aside (which seems critical for Publisher to figure out), is this a Sibelius problem or a Publisher problem? I'm assuming that since three separate PDF generators are all creating PDFs that look fine in all programs except Publisher, it's an issue with Publisher. If not, I'll take it up with Sibelius.

Sibelius does allow you to export SVGs, and they seem to import into Publisher just fine (at least this one file does). Would there be any reason why I shouldn't use SVG files for this purpose? I've got hundreds of files to bring into Publisher (many multipage) in order to compile several books intended for print. Sibelius can generate PDFs by batch, but not SVGs as far as I know, so this would be much more tedious, but I suppose worth it if there aren't any pitfalls I'm overlooking with substituting SVGs for PDFs.

I've never had issues with any in ID, but I wondered if that's because ID doesn't have the ability to edit PDFs. I haven't specifically tried this one in ID however. I wonder if Illustrator would have issues with it? It's been a long time since I've used QXP, can it edit PDFs? Or maybe that wouldn't be a factor at all? If you don't mind checking it might be interesting, I've only got CS6 on an older system that doesn't run well these days. Many thanks.

Your pdf works just fine in both ID & QXP.

Yes, Q can convert pdfs to "native objects." With the font installed it would likely render correctly, but without the font I wouldn't bet the farm on it. I have used the conversion of pdfs in Q before, and it has been pretty decent, but I use it as a last resort when original files are no longer available. Otherwise, I place them in Q or ID.

CorelDraw also works fine even without the font as it can convert type to curves upon importing.

22 minutes ago, Nathan Shirley said:

I really appreciate you checking those, very good to know. I do hope Publisher can crack these issues, the software has so much potential.

I'm pretty confident that pdf passthrough will come as soon as Serif can make it happen. 

3 hours ago, MikeW said:
4 hours ago, Nathan Shirley said:

I really appreciate you checking those, very good to know. I do hope Publisher can crack these issues, the software has so much potential.

I'm pretty confident that pdf passthrough will come as soon as Serif can make it happen. 

Your word in the developers ears ... if it did work similar to Quark (click on PDF, convert to native IF YOU WANT, otherwise just pass it through like an image) I'd be over the moon ...

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Lagarto said:

3) QXP 2018 also seems open and convert to native objects the file correcty but also can import only one page at a time...

You can use Javascript to import all pages, though I find PDF Importer Pro easier to use.

Yes I've got the latest Sibelius installed which I used to create that file.

I'm seeing issues with that Scarborough PDF score (I downloaded the fromapub_pdf_opened version). When I open it in Publisher the grace notes have at least two other symbols piled on top of them, and several beamed eighth notes are ripped apart where the notehead should meet the stem. There are also some clef collisions later on (in parts) that may or may not be PDF issues. When I view this file outside Publisher, the grace note problem isn't there, but the random eighth notes are still messed up.

• 2 weeks later...