You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash when trying to print document

After installing the latest version on my MacOs everytime I try to print with shortcut Cmd P or by the meny command Affinity immediatly crashes.  I mean it immediatly crashes is not possible to see the preview and don't even see the print dialog.

So far it seems it just one document, that Ive been able to print in the previous Affinity version, and of course it's the most important document I have that I put a lot of hours in to.

Please anyone

• Staff

Hi @KenRoland,

Unfortunately a bug was introduced that is making embedded documents with a different colour space to the original document crash when printing.

For now if you want to print your file you can either:

• If you have the Affinity Store version of the product, downgrade to 1.7.1 here
  • Export to PDF and print from there
  • Rasterise the embedded documents before printing
  • Change the colourspace of the embedded documents to match the original document

Thanks and apologies for the inconvenience

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

7 minutes ago, Jon P said:

Hi @KenRoland,

Unfortunately a bug was introduced that is making embedded documents with a different colour space to the original document crash when printing.

For now if you want to print your file you can either:

• If you have the Affinity Store version of the product, downgrade to 1.7.1 here
  • Export to PDF and print from there
  • Rasterise the embedded documents before printing
  • Change the colourspace of the embedded documents to match the original document

Thanks and apologies for the inconvenience

Thank you, Im impressed of your swift response.  I will try the suggestion by downgrading  for now.

6 minutes ago, KenRoland said:

Thank you, Im impressed of your swift response.  I will try the suggestion by downgrading  for now.

Thers a new problem: I bought publisher from app store and it seems that I dont have a product key, could you help me how to get the key or maybee it's possuble to download this version from app store?

• Staff

Downgrading only works with the Affinity Store version, the MAS version doesn't need a PK and it won't be possible to downgrade from it, so I'm afraid you will need to try one of the other workarounds until we get this patched.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

2 hours ago, Jon P said:

Downgrading only works with the Affinity Store version, the MAS version doesn't need a PK and it won't be possible to downgrade from it, so I'm afraid you will need to try one of the other workarounds until we get this patched.

2 hours ago, Jon P said:

ok, thank you,

If you have the previous version saved as part of a Time Machine backup, it is possible to restore that old version. I have the MAS version, and I was able to downgrade to 1.7.1 as a test.

I can't guarantee that there will never be preference issues with restoring with this method. For example, if 1.7.2 make some changes to your settings that 1.7.1 can't understand, there could be some instability or unpredictable behavior. I had no problem in my very brief test, but I only launched 1.7.1 and opened a document with it, nothing more.

On 8/21/2019 at 5:07 AM, Jon P said:

Jon P,  being relatively new to Affinity apps, what's the fastest way to change the color space of an embedded doc within Publisher?

• 2 months later...

I'm using the latest 1.7.3… with OSX 10.11.6 (Mac Pro 3,1 configuration) and worse I even cannot export as pdf as well… instant crash upon printing or error on export…

Finally, I 've just tried this same file on a new configuration with OSX 10.14.6 (iMacPro 1,1 not yet set ready for production), and no error at all. With this system I can print and export on pdf.

Any idea how I can debug this on OSX 10.11.6 ?

crash.png

The unspecific message "An error occurred while exporting" can occur when a font is used which isn't handled properly by AfPub, most often old Postscript fonts are affected. To detect whether it's this issue try to either/or ...

– change fonts
– convert text to curves before export
– convert text to curves on export ("More")
– export step by step single pages only or even single selected objects

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks, obviously looks like a font issue with AfPub with the export option:

1. the "convert text to curve" on export function is nice and fast and did the trick for export.

2. I also tried to convert text to curve manually as well for all embedded af.designer file: it works too… even if this is not really a viable option at the end.

3. I finally find out where this "export error..." came from: just a single reference line of text using an "old" Eurostile PS font in AfPub. It was not coming from any of the specific font inside AfDesigner embedded files... sic! I've changed the font and it worked without error !

4. However for printing: even if the print dialog box seems much more stable when I print from the file without the problematic font. AfPub has crashed inconsistently (not always then) when: 

• I switch from one printer to another or...
  • if i switch between some some the print settings (page size, specific settings, etc.) 

Anyway this is already a good fix for now ! 

4 hours ago, sbgraphic said:

1. the "convert text to curve" on export function is nice and fast and did the trick for export.

2. I also tried to convert text to curve manually as well for all embedded af.designer file: it works too… even if this is not really a viable option at the end.

With regard to "nice and fast", an exported PDF file can increase massively depending on the amount of text. Therefore, this option may also appear as a "not really viable option in the end".

4 hours ago, sbgraphic said:

4. However for printing: even if the print dialog box seems much more stable when I print from the file without the problematic font. AfPub has crashed inconsistently (not always then) when: 

• I switch from one printer to another or...
  • if i switch between some some the print settings (page size, specific settings, etc.) 

This sounds like a different issue. Instead of adding/mixing independent topics in the bugs forum it's more promising to post those in separate threads.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1