You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Left aligning table driving me nutz - Publisher for Windows

I'm having a persistent issue with positioning some Tables on the page, and I can't seem to rectify it.

I noticed while placing new tables that on occasion the table would align to the left edge of a column and is very difficult to change that behaviour.  I think that layers are part of the problem - I've been able to correct most issues by fiddling with them, but not really understanding the problem in the first place, none of the fiddling made sense even though it worked.

I've setup guides to regulate where the left and right edges of the table should be located.  The right table edge snaps nicely to the guide.  When I try to align the left table edge, the table appears to snap to guide as expected, but when I stopping depressing the mouse button, the whole table jumps back to the left margin and doesn't respect the already snapped right edge moving it left as well.

I'm off to read about layers.  While trying to deal with this I noticed that it appears my Master Page has been applied more than once - it appears in the layer list twice.  Using the check marks to the right to change layer visibility seems to indicate that some of my content is using the first instance of the layer, while others are using the second instance.

Any help much appreciated!

Dale

13 hours ago, Daleus said:

While trying to deal with this I noticed that it appears my Master Page has been applied more than once - it appears in the layer list twice.

I am not sure about your main issue but if you have set the document to use facing pages (so you see two page spreads in the Pages section of the Pages panel) & use the same Master page for both, then in the Layers panel there will be a Master page layer for each page.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Sorry Lee, I've moved beyond that by trashing the entire document and starting over.  Although frankly I don't know what causes it so there is little chance I can dupe it for a screen recording.I'm on version 5 now and each one gets better as I learn the little nuances.  I admit I'm tired of constantly starting over - 18 page doc - but it's the only way I can find to work around these troublesome Master Pages.

I just created a master page b with what I thought was a better configuration than the original.  I dropped the text into the new frames and it was looking good so I deleted master page a.  Then I discovered an old frame from master page a in the document and there seems to be no way I can get rid of it. And now any subsequent text I try to add to the new frames gets dumped in what appears to be an uneditable text frame that's out of bounds on the page and can't even be moved.  Meanwhile, my new frame layout is also untouchable and it's bounding box has some pale blue x's on it.

It seems there are a lot of ways to mess up your layout and none to fix the problems.  Maybe I just don't understand how masters work.  In the video tutorial, it appears you can create a master and edit to your heart's content while watching the changes flow into the spreads where it's being used.  I just can't get there.  Any time I try to adjust a Master after it's initial setup and I start to run into these screwball issues.

So here I go again with version 6.

Edit: added a couple of screen shots of my current situation if that's any help.

pub_doc_master_b.PNG

pub_doc_page_1.PNG

Edited by Daleus

Hello,

Education is a fine thing and I thank everyone on this thread for hanging in there with me.  It actually took some tutorials from Designer to help me work out the issue.

An incomplete understanding of how masters are adjusted after creation was at the root of it all. Instead of making adjustments on the Guides Manager, I was trying to alter actual objects on the master page and still doing even that wrong.  The end result was masters over-laid on each other, each with their own set of margins etc., all the while without any columns set properly anywhere.

So, pat yourself on the back for having tried to help and remove this thread from your watchlist.

Dale