You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inpainting brush lag in 1.7.2.471

Since upgrading to the new version I'm seeing an annoying drop in responsiveness when using the Inpainting brush. The laggy behavior shows up after a only few small touchups. No changes to my system since the last edit with the previous version, stacks of unused RAM available. Win 10 Pro x64 1903.

Edit: Seems to pass once AP has been open a while. 

Edited by DMayrshire

Hi Chris - this is embarrassing but today I can't reproduce the issue. I've tried a re-edit of the files that showed the behavior the most, and it's just not happening. Maybe there was something going on with my machine on the previous two days that I didn't know about, or maybe playing around with the max undo level (Performance tab, Preferences screen) made a difference - something I tried half way through yesterday's editing session. Either way, AP is back to its normal responsive self, so please disregard this thread.

I have the same lag with the inpainting brush tool on my Surface Pro 4 i5 4gb ; I thought it could be caused by the low quantity of ram but I checked  my memory usage and it is around 70/75%. Strange is that when I was using 1.6.5.135 (until the day before yesterday) I experienced no lag with the inpainting brush tool.

Anyway the lag begins immediately, I mean that when I start painting with the inpainting brush tool the stroke begins after half a second or so and is very stutterly/intermittent/not regular.

I have the same annoying problem which seems to have developed since the last upgrade.  I tried frequent saving - no difference. I'm working with simple B&W files, imported from scans of insect body parts that I have drawn and inked.  Most of what I do is smooth lines, correct things, etc.  Nothing complicated.  I've attached a file that has been partially worked on.

FLcyphPrehensor1.afphoto

Edited by JohnEpler
forgot to click on "notify" button - but did no good!!

On 8/25/2019 at 2:16 AM, JohnEpler said:

I've attached a file that has been partially worked on.

John,

Using your file, I didn't experience any issues during the actually painting over sections of  the lines with the Inpainting Brush Tool, but I did experience some random delays and a couple of nasty hangs after I stopped inpainting and when the inpainting  progress indicator had reached about 50%.  

I opened a new copy of your project file and simply exported it as an RGB 8 bit TIFF file with no compression, then closed your file and opened the TIFF version.  I have since not had any issues using the inpainting tool on the TIFF file.

Would be interesting to see whether you get the same result.

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

• Staff
3 hours ago, Greyfox said:

John,

Using your file, I didn't experience any issues during the actually painting over sections of  the lines with the Inpainting Brush Tool, but I did experience some random delays and a couple of nasty hangs after I stopped inpainting and when the inpainting  progress indicator had reached about 50%.  

I opened a new copy of your project file and simply exported it as an RGB 8 bit TIFF file with no compression, then closed your file and opened the TIFF version.  I have since not had any issues using the inpainting tool on the TIFF file.

Would be interesting to see whether you get the same result.

I got absolutely no lag whilst painting with the Inpainting Brush Tool with a 120px brush. I got the usual Inpainting Brush progress bar on bigger areas but it lasted for a matter of seconds and is expected at times.

What size document and brush is everyone else using? I realise that may seem irrelevant if it was working fine prior to the update but at least I can run some tests with the different versions. 

10 minutes ago, Chris B said:

What size document and brush is everyone else using? I realise that may seem irrelevant if it was working fine prior to the update but at least I can run some tests with the different versions. 

Chris,

Were you using JohnEpler's uploaded .afphoto file?  I've not experienced any lag or hang problems with the Inpainting tool on any other file, but with his project file the problem is fairly repeatable.

Document size 2475 x 6968px, 17.25MP, RGBA/8

Inpainting brush: Width 179.3, Opacity 100%, Flow 100%, Hardness 80%

Desktop PC, Windows 10, 64 bit (1903), Intel i7 CPU, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050ti 4GB graphics

Chris, Greyfox - HA!  I had no problems once I saved the file as a TIF.  I usually work with TIFS instead of .afp's, but for this project I just started in on the afp version - perhaps this why I "finally noticed" the brush lag.  Hmmm  ...  btw I use various brush widths (depending on how detailed I'm working), but almost always  100% opacity, workflow and hardness (for some additional probably useless information).  So, that begs the question - why the lag with ,afps?  And I also have to apologize for not realizing how to find your responses - our Fake president here is dragging everything down!!!

10 hours ago, Chris B said:

but at least I can run some tests with the different versions.  

Chris,

In case it is of some use, the attached short video shows the hang occurring here with JohnEpler's .afphoto file, also the details from Task Manager during the hang..

• Staff

I've had another look at this and noticed that if I use a 200px brush and drag down the same line as you @Greyfox it works fine. I even went all the way to the bottom. However, if I hold Shift to inpaint in straight lines, I get that horrible freeze/pause/delay—whatever it is, that you are getting in the video. I think that's something to go on! 

54 minutes ago, Chris B said:

However, if I hold Shift to inpaint in straight lines, I get that horrible freeze/pause/delay

Chris,

What I've found is that if I freehand down the line a short way, and then move left off the line and slightly back up (so the pink section looks something like a tick, (as shown in the screen shot attached), I can get the "hang" to occur nearly every time.

The other thing I've found is that the "hang" is not actually terminal - if left long enough it does actually complete, but long enough has sometimes been in the order of 184 seconds.

Inpainting hang.jpg