You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.7.2 update fails

Started Publisher and was told there was an update - 1.7.2.

Downloaded it and ran it but it said setup failed. Publisher no longer runs at all.
Tried running affinity-publisher-1.7.2.exe again but it just 'fails' every time.

How do I get my Publisher back??

• Staff

Hi sclg :)

I'm very sorry to hear this. Could you please confirm for me, were you previously running the latest version (1.7.1) or were you running a version older than this? I'm asking as we'll need to remove any trace of your previous installation to resolve this issue for you, and the version you were running changes the process slightly!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that. 

Firstly please download the following tool from Microsoft, this will remove any version of Publisher that is currently installed and allow us to start from a clean state.
https://support.microsoft.com/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed

After downloading, please run the tool select Uninstalling and wait for the list to populate, then select Affinity Publisher from the list of apps. If you don't see this option, select the first option in the menu and paste the following string, then press OK:

{0459ADBD-1D0D-4611-9975-057562A6DE3F}

After the app has finished uninstalling, please visit the following link and download a new copy of the latest version of the .EXE to ensure there is no corruption with your current .exe download.
https://store.serif.com/update/windows/publisher/1/

Once downloaded, locate the file in your Downloads folder and right-click on the file and select 'Run as Administrator'. Follow the app prompts and you should find this version installs as expected! :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Similar update / installation problem

Have been using the demo version of Publisher 1.7.1.404.  Just bought PUblisher today, downloaded it but the file itself does not display the publisher icon, and keeps on giving this error: "Windows cannot acess the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions."

Have tried using Administrator, = same error message.

Any suggestions please?

• Staff
5 minutes ago, 247web said:

downloaded it but the file itself does not display the publisher icon

I'm sorry to hear this 247web, it sounds as though there may be an issue with your downloaded exe. Could you please try re-downloading the latest version from the link above and try installing again for me?

• Staff

Sorry to hear that Steve, please could you open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and click OK:

%temp%\AffinitySetup

In the window that opens, please select the most recent folder created and attach SetupUI.log to your reply here :)

• Staff

Thanks for that Steve, I've found the following -

The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher.  The installation cannot continue.  Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator.

It looks like the installer doesn't have sufficient permissions, however I can't see the step where it was called as an 'Elevated Process' (ie Admin rights). Did you use the Right-click Run as Administrator option on the .exe? If you try installing again using the process, does this install still fail?

Yes - I had 'Run as administrator' and the usual UAC box had popped up.

It has obviously messed up permissions somewhere. If I go to C:\Program Files\Affinity and look at the properties of the Publisher folder I get "You must have read permissions to view the properties of this object". Clicking the advanced button then the UAC Continue button gives "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings".

If I look at my 'Designer' folder, all the permissions, etc look normal.

Steve

HI Dan

Downloaded from your link above - identical to the other 2 downloads that I tried today.  File still does not display the publisher icon and get the exact same message about Windows running as Administrator. Rebooted and cold start x 2 so far - no change whatsoever.

Any further suggestions please?

Thanks

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know @sclg, apologies for any inconveniences caused.

Sorry to hear that @247web - please could you try the following steps to change the permissions options on the file?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2669244/windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device-path-or-file-error-when-you

If this doesn't help, try moving the exe to a different location, such as your desktop.

Do you have any third party antivirus that may be stopping the installation? Our latest exes were flagged as a false positive with AVG, so other antivirus may be blocking the installation also.