You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I made this huge grid/mosaic on Designer then tried opening the .afdesign file in Photo to use the Mesh Warp tool but Photo couldn't open the file because the app is too old*. Exporting it as SVG did the trick, though.

Then, I modified it in photo and to get it back to Designer I tried:

1 - Exporting it again as SVG: appeared as an invisible rectangle in Designer,
2 - just opening the .afphoto: appeared as a pixel layer in Designer,
3 - and copying the layer in Photo: appeared as a pixel layer in Designer.

Is there any way to export vectors from Photo?

Ideally I'd prefer the Mesh Warp tool in Designer but I was told already it's not available.

* I got it with a [now] locked up Apple ID [by MFA] hence it won't update anymore. Unlike Designer, Photo is used about twice a year so it doesn't bother me much.

Hello vitaprimo,
Yes, Photo can export vectors.
However I think what may have happened to you is that at the moment you tried to use the Mesh Warp tool, Photo automatically converted the vector objects to Pixels, as the Mesh Warp tool can only work with pixels not vectors.
At the moment no Affinity app has a vector equivalent of the Mesh Warp tool I’m afraid.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Thanks for clearing it up; that sucks though.

I have this little tool I found some time ago on the App Store called something like "Vectorizer" or very similar, I'll try with that. Hopefully when Serif releases version 2.0 of Affinity Designer to purchase it comes with this functionality. *fingerscrossed* ...and without the Apple ID attachment on Macs.

12 hours ago, vitaprimo said:

Thanks for clearing it up; that sucks though.

I have this little tool I found some time ago on the App Store called something like "Vectorizer" or very similar, I'll try with that. Hopefully when Serif releases version 2.0 of Affinity Designer to purchase it comes with this functionality. *fingerscrossed* ...and without the Apple ID attachment on Macs.

Image Vectorizer is the app if anyone is found in my position, it's like 1 or 10 dollars in the Mac App Store and detects every single thing on an image and draws the vectors individually. Here I am adding them up (boolean operations):

1054295582_ScreenShot2019-08-20at22_09_51.thumb.png.451bcb490e4c5a54e53264adfe9dff0e.png

:)