You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Best file format for opening AI files

Hi everyone,

I have only ever used Affinity Designer for illustration work and now need to start outsourcing some design work to other agencies/contractors to get projects done in time - the illustrators I'd like to work with don't use Designer, and instead use Illustrator - from reviewing forum posts here I couldn't gather if there's a reliable method of working in Illustrator and then picking up the files later on in Designer and not have compatibility issues.

I completely appreciate they are two different products made by two completely different companies but if there's a way in which the above scenario may work I'd be keen to understand it and its limitations (avoiding raster elements, use only certain file types, etc)

Any support appreciated.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @iratefox. :)

None of the Affinity apps can read the proprietary AI format, but if a *.ai file includes a PDF stream (which it does by default) Designer will read the contents of that stream. Since I’ve never used Illy, I’m afraid I’m not familiar with the limitations of this approach.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

SVG and EPS are the best formats for cross application working but if the agencies you work with want AI files you can try using one of the many converters available.

https://www.google.de/search?q=svg+to+ai&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=s78FWYapBeKA8QfanrDQCw&gws_rd=cr

I'm not working with AI anymore, but I've found some ai-files on my harddrive and could open them in Affinity Photo (I don't have designer yet). I remember that back in the days I was able to open .ai-files if I have renamed the extension to .eps when I had to use them in programms that don't support .ai but .eps.

Difficult, since none of these formats (Ai, EPS, SVG, PDF) is entirely perfect implemented, meaning they all have the one or other limitation and restriction in terms of functionality in AD. So there is no absolute cross compatibility in parsed and supported vector file format functionality between both apps.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

4 hours ago, iratefox said:

I have only ever used Affinity Designer for illustration work and now need to start outsourcing some design work to other agencies/contractors to get projects done in time - the illustrators I'd like to work with don't use Designer, and instead use Illustrator...

Here's the thing. Either you need to use Illustrator or the contractors/agencies have to use AD.

With contractors, you can require any/every contractor that you use purchase a license for AD. This is how I have worked for 30 years. And the same goes for myself when I am the contractor. I too have been required to purchase a license for application X if I chose to accept the work.

The same can apply to agencies, but I have found resistance among the larger agencies to purchase anything. Smaller agencies have been somewhat more willing if they desire the work.

Using disparate applications in a work-flow that incorporates others outside your control is a situation that either requires more work than is necessary for all the parties involved or is simply untenable in the long-term.

Mike

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the help.

@MikeW I completely agree this is the best approach - I had been reluctant to go down this route but you're right and this will come back to bite me in future if we don't start using the same tools. The whole point of me outsourcing some of this work is to save time, so the last thing I want is messing around with file types and rework.

If I can't get them to work with Affinity products then I guess I'll have to find a different agency/contractor that I like.

Thanks again