You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash Went Opening This file in Affinity Designer

afbatch

This was originally a Publisher file (ADC Window Film), but the only app that will open it now is Photo. So I used it to finish everything up.

Whenever I try to open this file in Designer or Publisher, the application crashes on my machine. It opens fine it Photo (1.7.1 & 1.7.2). I just tried it with version 1.7.2 of Designer, and the same thing happens.

Attached is the Photo file and a dump from Publisher 1.7.1. I don't get a dump from any of the 1.7.2 apps.

ADC Window Film.afphoto

AF Publisher Dump.txt

Hi afbatch,

The file is opening quite happily here in both AD and APub. What is slightly odd though is, because the .tif file KWB_2019-08-09_0095-Edit is linked in your original APub document it invokes the Resource Manager across all three apps despite Resource Manager currently only being an APub feature (as far as I'm aware)... It actually functions in both AD and AP in the same way as APub, allowing me to replace the missing .tif file with another file despite the fact you can't re-invoke the Resource Manager through either AD or AP unless I'm missing something...

Maybe this is expected behaviour but seems strange if you are unable to re-invoke in AD and AP directly.

missing_resources.thumb.jpg.fa707639b3174f7065b48709a90cf40f.jpg

Resource Manager Appears in both AD and AP when opening an AP file with a Linked Resource originally created in APub

resource_manager.thumb.jpg.a2d4e2caaf4d4d35e8102a55aebf0469.jpg

Is this expected behaviour?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

This is in 1.7.2 across the board. If I click on Resource Manager in either app it seems to function as expected and allows me to replace your missing linked .tif file with one of my own quite happily...

Maybe your crash report will give the dev team some pointers as to the cause...

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344

I hope so. It has something to do with the linked file. I removed the linked file in AP. Then I was able to open the file in APub and add the resource again. Now it works fine. For me, the file is on an external drive and the image is on another external drive. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. It was something to do with the linking and that the file had changed, but who knows what? Thanks for checking it out on another machine! :-)

It could well be though I would have assumed/hoped that having files on an external drive wouldn't cause an issue!