You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Text Frame Unable To Add Text

I hopped on here tonight hoping to find a thread going for Affinity Publisher.

I don't see one. 

Prior to this I searched in Affinity Publisher Help to find out how to add text to a text frame.  I have left-clicked, left double-clicked, and right clicked into the text frame, and so far have not been able to get the cursor to go into the text frame box so I can type something in there.  I put a text frame on a master, and it shows on the other pages.  I just can't enter text into the frame.  I don't know if it is something on my computer or what.  Typing/keyboard is working everywhere else.

I tried Reddit, and yes they have one for Publisher, but it wouldn't let me post there even after I joined.

I enjoyed Serif Publisher for many years, and never had a problem with something so simple.  I used Serif for all of my publishing needs...ebooks, pdf's, product manuals, etc.

If anybody has had the same problem and solved it, please let me know!!!!

Also let me know if there will be a category for Publisher some day.

Thanks!

This is the concept of text frames on Master pages that they cannot be "easily" or accidently edited. But you can edit them anyway. Click on the spread you want to work with on the Master Layer and pick Detach from the Context bar. Then you can select the Master Page item you want to edit.

If you just want to add text frames resp. working with text it would be better adding the text frames to the spreads.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

A text frame added to a master page should be editable on a normal page just by a single (or double) click on the text frame then entering your text

@SandyKron can you upload a sample document you are having trouble with so we can see how it is structured

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

The problem here is I think, that the text cursor is barely visible when you double-click the text frame, because the text cursor is on the line of the text frame.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

That could be Joachim_L.  I enlarged the screen and the cursor is directly on the line.  It is hard to see. 

I also noticed that there were two red dots indicating that there was overflow.  I expanded the text frame and it was packed with red words (in a different language) and filled the whole page.  I didn't put those words in there.  When the height of the text box is shorter than the height of the text, no words show, and that's why I thought it was empty.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, DougT said:

On one page I want to add an text frame inside the Mast frame with a different font. 

You can't create a text frame inside a text frame but you can copy-paste the second frame – or directly use the Pinning Panel with further options. In any case you would first create (draw) the second frame outside of the existing frame + choose its position inside the parent frame in a next step.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1