I want to take an image file and place it on a colored background. Prior to Affinity I had Adobe Photoshop but I can't seem to find a correlating tool to do this. Adobe merely ad a "resize canvas" option where one could anchor the image and choose a background while resizing. The resize canvas on Affinity is quite useful but not for my purpose. I am not sure which tutorial to watch.

Resize the canvas around the anchor you want. Add a pixel layer, move it under your image and fill this layer with your desired colour with the Flood Fill Tool. This is one option to do what you want, but the closest option to do what you did before in Photoshop. Awful English. :(

3 hours ago, Sarah Yuster said:

I want to take an image file and place it on a colored background.

Why don't you do it exactly as you write?

Make new document (menu File, New), for example 100000 x 100000 px (or your image size + 2x border size :-).

Insert New Fill Layer (menu Layer), and set required background color.

Place (menu File, Place) your image, and adjust position. 

Affinity Store: Designer 1.7.2.471, Photo 1.7.2.471, Publisher 1.7.2.471.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, Build 18362.295.
Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.
OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080.

Thank you Joachim and Psenda (late response as I'm in NY). I am a painter, which is my excuse for being so uninformed about basic photoshop skills. I use Affinity primarily for tweaking image files of my work for reproduction.

Now, I'm going to see if I'm capable of following both of your well explained directions.

8 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Resize the canvas around the anchor you want. Add a pixel layer, move it under your image and fill this layer with your desired colour with the Flood Fill Tool. This is one option to do what you want, but the closest option to do what you did before in Photoshop. Awful English. :(

Your English is excellent!

6 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Why don't you do it exactly as you write?

Make new document (menu File, New), for example 100000 x 100000 px (or your image size + 2x border size :-).

Insert New Fill Layer (menu Layer), and set required background color.

Place (menu File, Place) your image, and adjust position. 

I will try!