You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I want to take an image file and place it on a colored background. Prior to Affinity I had Adobe Photoshop but I can't seem to find a correlating tool to do this. Adobe merely ad a "resize canvas" option where one could anchor the image and choose a background while resizing. The resize canvas on Affinity is quite useful but not for my purpose. I am not sure which tutorial to watch.

Resize the canvas around the anchor you want. Add a pixel layer, move it under your image and fill this layer with your desired colour with the Flood Fill Tool. This is one option to do what you want, but the closest option to do what you did before in Photoshop. Awful English. :(

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 hours ago, Sarah Yuster said:

I want to take an image file and place it on a colored background.

Why don't you do it exactly as you write?

Make new document (menu File, New), for example 100000 x 100000 px (or your image size + 2x border size :-).

Insert New Fill Layer (menu Layer), and set required background color.

Place (menu File, Place) your image, and adjust position. 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Thank you Joachim and Psenda (late response as I'm in NY). I am a painter, which is my excuse for being so uninformed about basic photoshop skills. I use Affinity primarily for tweaking image files of my work for reproduction.

Now, I'm going to see if I'm capable of following both of your well explained directions.

8 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Resize the canvas around the anchor you want. Add a pixel layer, move it under your image and fill this layer with your desired colour with the Flood Fill Tool. This is one option to do what you want, but the closest option to do what you did before in Photoshop. Awful English. :(

Your English is excellent!

6 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Why don't you do it exactly as you write?

Make new document (menu File, New), for example 100000 x 100000 px (or your image size + 2x border size :-).

Insert New Fill Layer (menu Layer), and set required background color.

Place (menu File, Place) your image, and adjust position. 

I will try!

• 3 months later...

Is there any equivalent in AP to the image frame/border function available in IrfanView - I am struggling to find simplest way to create a border around an image in AP and as a workaround I develop the image (NEF since I shoot Nikon) as I want in AP then copy the converted jpeg from my regular iMac to my Windows PC which has an appropriate IrfanView version with the add-ons I want ........ unless I have missed something since I am a new AP user ... but any AP image border solution seems pretty complicated and still does not match the IrfanView functionality .....on the other hand the AP developing capabilities are quite exceptional.