You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 1.7.2 (and 1.7.1) - lagging and/or crashing working with masked layer

Affinity Designer 1.7.2 (and 1.7.1) is lagging and/or crashing/not responding when I'm scaling/moving/rotating a complex vector image which is placed in a masked layer. If the object is placed as a normal layer I can scale/move/rotate it without a hitch.

it can be reproduced (at least on my laptop).

Tried the same thing with version 1.6.5 - had no problems.

- Working with Version 1.7.2;
- Windows 10;
- 16 GB RAM;
- Intel i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.81 GHz

01.png

02.png

• Staff

Thanks for the files. The afdesign file, has no real complex nodes in it, however the PDF file does. I've imported the PDF but not getting any hanging or crashes when using and masking those complex layers. 

Are you able to record a video that demonstrates the behaviour you are getting so that I can see the steps you are taking in detail please? If you could use the exact same files attached that would be great!
Thanks!

Ah crap, yes. The .afdesign file is indeed without the line work and shouldn't have been uploaded. 

Interesting - I've just opened the pdf file on another laptop and have no issues as well (with 1.7.2).
Affinity Photo and Publisher are still on version 1.7.1. Going to update these as well to see if this will have effect.

• Staff

Thanks for the video! It looks like your Snapping settings would have affected this. The message 'Snapping timed out' that appears means that it is struggling to find suitable snapping targets and normally happens when you've got objects with LOTS of nodes - like yours has. This is why resetting all the AppData options will have changed your snapping settings.

If you do get this slowdown again (which I feel you may depending on what snapping options you change) you will have to try disabling snapping and see if that stops the slowdown. If so you can then experiment with which snapping option is doing it. It is more than likely the 'Snap to Object Geometry' that is doing it.

Hi Sean, after deinstalling Designer and manually removing Designer folders in the program files, program data, \AppData\Roaming\Affinity and emptying the temp folder in \appdata\local and reinstalling Designer 1.7.2, Designer seems to work normal again. I can move, scale etc. without a problem. 

On second thought - it might be because by default the  'Snap to Object Geometry' is turned off?