You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo opens, closes when loading file or new doc

New user trying to running Photo 1.7.2.471 on Windows 10 Dell Desktop. Every time I open the program, it seems to open just fine, but if I try to import a file or start a new document, it just closes without doing anything. I loaded the same version on my Surface Pro 6 running Windows 10 and it seems to be able to load the same pictures just fine, but I don't want to work on a postage stamp.

I tried reinstalling Photo on the desktop but it did not make any difference. I tried running it as administrator, but that did not make any difference.

Both Publisher and Designer seem to allow me to actually use them. Photo does not. 

How can I fix this?

SetupUI.log

Setup.log

Edited by mpower9
to correct typo and add log files and more info

• Staff

Open the app, but not a document then go Edit > Preferences > Performance. Check to see what the Renderer is set to, try changing to one of the other options closing and reopening. If this doesn't help try checking for any crash reports in the below location to see if any match when Photo is closing on your system

From the Run Dialog, In this folder you will find Crash Reports generated by our apps. Please send us the .dmp file with the latest Created/Modified Date.

Affinity Photo
%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports

Thanks, Lee D. I changed the Renderer from NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M to Default (Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 and Photo allowed me to set up a new file and also to open an existing plain vanilla jpg image. Now I can finally get on with learning the program.

I have purchased all three Affinity programs to replace my aged Adobe CS4 programs that are getting increasingly cranky running on Windows 10. My usual MO when learning a new program is to use it for an actual project, but Photo stopped me in my tracks and I had to revert to Adobe to get it done.

I am the little old lady "graphic designer", "webmistress", and the only person in out all volunteer nonprofit who does not believe that a computer is just a typewriter with a screen. I was feeling even more inadequate than usual when I couldn't even get the program to stay open. (I regard it as a personal failure when I have to contact tech support.)

Nothing personal, but hopefully we will not have to become BFFs . Thanks again.

Marj