You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Are there any thoughts from Serif for a digital version of the Affinity Photo Workbook?

Downloading the book would avoid the high S&H cost and improve it's practicality ( I can have the book in one monitor while I'm working on others! )

Thank you.

• Staff

Hi Lucas CM,

Welcome to the forums :)

This has been requested previously, however as Gradient_Phil has mentioned, we have no plans for this currently - my apologies!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 4 months later...

I find it extremely odd that a digital company would resort to using a printed book which is extraordinarily wasteful and not very portable as a workbook. As with everything else they do it is backwards. Glaring oversight. Anybody who has that stupid book needs it on digital. None of us have enough time to waste by caring around a 5 pound book. It’s really a stupid oversight And indicative of their totally chaotic method of putting things together. Very disappointed yet again with affinity

10 hours ago, reynoldsarts said:

I find it extremely odd that a digital company would resort to using a printed book which is extraordinarily wasteful and not very portable as a workbook.

It isn't so odd if you consider that because it is a physical printed book the images will be the same for anyone who uses it. That isn't true for digital books because the device used to display it may render the images differently due to different color management systems & supported display resolutions.

Another thing in favor of the printed version is it can be used without sacrificing any of the computer's screen space to refer to it while doing the workbook projects, important for users with smaller screens.

As for portability, a two page spread is about 15" wide. There are not many portable devices that can display that document width at actual size.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I do enjoy reading a good book. There are advantages of eBooks - adjusting font size, bold type, remembers your last page, resource links clickable (how many posted cannot locate source file), out of stock, no shipping information received and if you own tablet/laptop/desktop, peace of cake.  The size of workbook, on small work desk, can create it own problem.  As @Dan C mentioned above, Serif has no plans currently, mute discussion, unless they reconsider, lol. The problem I encountered was the page color selection and indistinct print on the workbook I received. The layers were especially hard to read.  Seldom, if ever, did I need to rely on book images, instructions and screen shots of layers were essential.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

• 2 months later...

I have two monitors. After purchasing both Affinity workbooks during the last Black Friday sale, I realized that I have apparently become spoiled with web tutorials being up on the second monitor at an even level with whatever program I am working with.  I'm finding that it is much more difficult to use a paper book for tutorials; having to look down, trying to juggle a book that wants to close and compete with space for the keyboard and the mouse.

I would definitely like a PDF or ePub version included with the hard cover book.