You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo User Guide Part 1, Workspace & UI

EdK

Here’s Part 1  ( Workspace & User Interface) of my four part Affinity Photo User Guide. Parts 2 & 3 to be completed by October.

While completing part 1 of this AP guide, I learned a lot about Publisher (and PDF publishing). I hope you find the material, and the flip page book style, interesting.

@EdK  When I am attempting to learn something new from written information, it is always easiest for me to progress from the simplest to the most complicated.   When I first started with Photo, "personas" was the great mind-boggler.   Personally, were I using your book, I would put pages 18-19 before 12-13 so that I had an inkling what the sundry Personas are meant to do before I was stunned by all of the details for each.  After pp. 6-7 "Workspace Overview" I would (personally) put p. 22-25 "Workspace Customization.

Last, I searched for Menu>Edit>Preferences which is noted on page 22 and cannot find it.   Did you mean "Affinity Photo>Preferences"?

It is a Herculean job.   Hooray for Publisher!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

Last, I searched for Menu>Edit>Preferences which is noted on page 22 and cannot find it.   Did you mean "Affinity Photo>Preferences"?

The menu item Edit > Preferences is for Windows. Affinity Photo > Preferences is for Mac. Perhaps Ed is writing (for now) for Windows users?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

@EdK  When I am attempting to learn something new from written information, it is always easiest for me to progress from the simplest to the most complicated.   When I first started with Photo, "personas" was the great mind-boggler.   Personally, were I using your book, I would put pages 18-19 before 12-13 so that I had an inkling what the sundry Personas are meant to do before I was stunned by all of the details for each.  After pp. 6-7 "Workspace Overview" I would (personally) put p. 22-25 "Workspace Customization.

It is a Herculean job.   Hooray for Publisher!

Thanks for the suggestions. Greatly appreciated!

Walt was correct re. win vs mac for Preferences. I'll make that clearer.

I agree re. moving 18-19 before 12-13.

I agree (half-way) on 22-25. I think moving 22-23 after 6-7 works. I'll leave 24-25 as is since it makes references to topics that come later in Part 1.

Again, thanks a million for your time & help.

7 hours ago, EdK said:

Here’s Part 1  ( Workspace & User Interface) of my four part Affinity Photo User Guide. Parts 2 & 3 to be completed by October.

While completing part 1 of this AP guide, I learned a lot about Publisher (and PDF publishing). I hope you find the material, and the flip page book style, interesting.

Excellent.  Easy to read, navigate and environmentally friendly.  I love to have a complete eBook User Guide and links to online tutorials, if available in future. 

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The menu item Edit > Preferences is for Windows. Affinity Photo > Preferences is for Mac. Perhaps Ed is writing (for now) for Windows users?

Walt,

Where can I find info on Mac vs. Windows differences?

3 hours ago, EdK said:

Where can I find info on Mac vs. Windows differences?

Excellent question, but I have no simple answers to offer. In no particular order, these ideas may help:

• Read extensively in the forums, and take note of things that are mentioned.
  • Watch tutorials recorded by Mac users, and compare with what you see following the same steps on Windows.
  • Read Serif's Affinity Workbooks, which cover both platforms.
  • Read the online Help, which (with recent updates) mentions the differences between the two platforms.

Or, of course, get a Mac computer, install the Affinity application(s), and experiment with them yourself. :D

Edit: Or, write it from the perspective of a Windows user, and have Mac users review and suggest changes for Mac.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi EdK,
Most features/functionality and menus are the same but there are a few exceptions:
- keyboard shortcuts/modifiers keys differ;
- the Windows version provides more export formats (.WMF)
- the Mac version includes an additional RAW engine provided by macOS: Apple (Core Image RAW); Windows version only has our own: Serif Labs
- additional Edit > Paste Special command on Windows (not present on Mac)
- a few differences in the Window menu commands due to the way OS manages windows
- a few additional settings in Preferences, in the User Interface section on Mac (Font UI Size/ UI Style) - not available on Windows.

It's possible there's a few more but I can't remember them now. Will keep adding them.

18 minutes ago, MEB said:

Most features/functionality and menus are the same but these are a few exceptions:
- keyboard shortcuts/modifiers keys differ;
- the Windows version provides a couple more export formats
- the Mac version includes an additional RAW engine provided by macOS: Apple (Core Image RAW); Windows version only has our own: Serif Labs
- additional Edit > Paste Special command on Windows (not present on Mac)
- a few differences in the Window menu command due to the way the OS manages windows

Thanks. That's a good start. I'm incorporating it on the Introduction page, for now (updating later today).

OK. I just updated the earlier material.

I incorporated jmwellborn's suggestions. Better jmw?

Also, added an item about Mac vs. Win AP differences.

Lastly, added links for each of the Photo Persona's 22 default tools (page 12). At this point, there's nothing in AP's default workspace without a direct link to Serif's official documentation.

Moving on to Part 2.

@EdK   Definitely better, I think!   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9