You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 Brushes have disappeared

21 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Do they reappear if you revert to version 1.7.1? Not that you should have to do that, of course!

https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/designer/1/

Sorry Alfred, but you just totally failed the PC Support recruitment interview.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Just now, RosieH said:

Bit annoyed I must say.

I’m not surprised, Rosie! I hope you get it sorted soon.

Perhaps @carl123 will provide you with a solution.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Were they the default brushes supplied with Designer, or all brushes including brushes you had installed yourself, Rosie?

What release were you running before you updated?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

36 minutes ago, RosieH said:

Why should that make a difference?

All the older brushes were intentionally deleted when updating from 1.6 to 1.7, and replaced by newer brushes. So if you were coming from 1.6.something to 1.7.2 there are some brushes that we would expect to be missing.

If you are coming from 1.7.1 to 1.7.2 we wouldn't expect anything to be missing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

It's something we haven't come across with the 1.7.2 update, to confirm in both Draw and Pixel personas on the Brushes panel, nothing is showing in the drop downs menus.

If you open the apps Preferences > Miscellaneous and select Reset brushes. The default brushes in both personas should reappear, if you had any third party brushes installed, these will need to be reinstalled. However we are aware of an issue with .abr brush format being unable to be imported at the moment.

• Staff

You can manually delete the file on your system where the brushes are stored, once deleted opening the app will force it regenerate the file, so the default brushes are loaded back. Doing this will delete any brushes you've also installed since the update, so you may want to wait until your project is complete or reinstall them after.

1, Windows key + R (Windows Run)

2, Type in %appdata% press Enter

3, Browse to Affinity>Photo>1.0>user

4, Select the raster_brushes.propcol file and delete

Close the window and open Affinity Photo.

Rosie's IT dept (Stewart) here. Well, we tried that on both Designer and Photo. In both cases, the software does generate a

new raster_brushes.propcol files but it would appear to be empty (that is it is very small and the brushes do not appear).

By the way, I did not delete the file , just changed its name, so it was not too annoying. This is usually the best way to proceed

as it eliminates one giant leap backwards.

Now,  if you could send me the *.propcol files (both raster and vector) I can use those. You could also send me the individual

brush files but installing those one at a time may cause me to take someones name in vain!

• Staff

Can you PM me a copy of both the vector_brushes.propcol & raster_brushes.propcol files so I can load them into mine to check. The files sizes are very small for the default brushes, also take a screenshot of the brushes panel in both Draw and Pixel personas.

**UPDATE**

We've managed to reproduce this, in a way. However to resolve the issue a full uninstall and reinstall of the app is required to put the default brushes back.

15 hours ago, Lee D said:

Can you PM me a copy of both the vector_brushes.propcol & raster_brushes.propcol files so I can load them into mine to check. The files sizes are very small for the default brushes, also take a screenshot of the brushes panel in both Draw and Pixel personas.

**UPDATE**

We've managed to reproduce this, in a way. However to resolve the issue a full uninstall and reinstall of the app is required to put the default brushes back.

AH, I take it you are now talking about Designer vice Photo. You do need to be clear.

What do you mean "in a way"?

OK, re-installed it. Same results. Screen shots and propcol files attached. Just send me the propcol files as they should be

and all (well most things) will be right with the world.

Screen_shots_and_propcol_files.zip

• Staff

Hi Rosie and Stuart,

Thanks for sending the zip file. 

I'm worried that some security application may have quarantined a folder in your install location and we really need to find out what has happened to it! For each app, there is a folder in Resources called Affinity Photo/Affinity Designer located in the install directory found here:
C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\Resources\Affinity Photo\
C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer\Resources\Affinity Designer\

Could you please zip the Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer folder inside the Resources folder (approx 72mb each in size) and attach them here. Once you've done that, download my Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer folders and place it in the same location, overwriting the existing one. If this does not fix the issue then there may be something interfering with the folder such as an anti-virus application.

I realise this is a huge inconvenience for you and it should not have happened and for this I am sorry. If we can figure out what has caused this we can look at preventing it in the future. Thank you so much for your time so far.

Affinity_Designer.zip

Affinity_Photo.zip

On 8/27/2019 at 7:49 AM, Chris B said:

Hi Rosie and Stuart,

Thanks for sending the zip file. 

I'm worried that some security application may have quarantined a folder in your install location and we really need to find out what has happened to it! For each app, there is a folder in Resources called Affinity Photo/Affinity Designer located in the install directory found here:
C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\Resources\Affinity Photo\
C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer\Resources\Affinity Designer\

Could you please zip the Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer folder inside the Resources folder (approx 72mb each in size) and attach them here. Once you've done that, download my Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer folders and place it in the same location, overwriting the existing one. If this does not fix the issue then there may be something interfering with the folder such as an anti-virus application.

I realise this is a huge inconvenience for you and it should not have happened and for this I am sorry. If we can figure out what has caused this we can look at preventing it in the future. Thank you so much for your time so far.

Affinity_Designer.zip

Affinity_Photo.zip

Chris,

Thank you.

I'm sorry for the delay.

I found the folders Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer at:

C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo\Resources\Affinity Photo

and

C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Designer\Resources\Affinity Designer

I have so far copied the two folders from my system which I've attached. As you will see there are

some files missing.

Whenever I do an install I disable the AV so it is not going to be that that has caused a problem.

I have replace the folder in Photo with the one you sent me and Rosie will look at how things are working tomorrow.

If it is OK then I will do the same to Designer.

Stewart

Affinity Designer.zip

Affinity Photo.zip

• Staff

Hi Stewart,

Thanks for the reply. I'll pull the attached files apart (thanks for that) but I'm very curious to see how Rosie got on with the files I sent.

Just as a reference, this is what should be in the folder:
Affinity Photo.jpg

You are (for some reason) missing all the .propcol files O.o

Chris,

sorry for the delay, Rosie got involved in a project that took longer than planned.

Both Photo and Designer are working fine with the files that you sent.

I did notice that the Propcol files were missing, I have no idea what happened.

Thank you very much for your help,

Stewart