You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush modes when painting in masks…

Not sure if this has been asked for before (did look but may not have used the correct search term).

Would love it if when painting onto a mask and setting the brush mode to Overlay if it would do like it does in many other applications. When using black it will not paint over white and the same in reverse. Currently blend modes make no difference at all when painting into a mask which makes creating masks a longer process.

Having said that, I'm not sure what the elves at Serif did exactly but in 1.7.2 the refine dialogue masks out images about 1000% quicker than before so thank you very very much for that! Absolutely stellar job!

Best wishes,

Mark

7 hours ago, chaleco45 said:

Hi,If i am not mistaken it does work as you  describe,i wanted aswell and i just tried it again and it works for me here in 1.7.2.

regards.

charles

Possibly mistaken ;-) although possible I'm doing something wrong or something wrong on my system?

Video attached to show what is happening. When I paint with white over the black area of the mask then it shouldn't paint any white there. That's what you'd normally expect from painting with overlay mode set.

Can anyone else confirm if this is happening to them?

Thanks,

Mark

Hiya,

Yep that's the way I've had to do it (by rasterising the mask layer). Definitely not the way I'd like to do it though.

Hope this can get fixed soon.

Best wishes,

Mark

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1. Select the "The Mask" layer mask you want to improve
2. Go to Channels and right click "The Mask Alpha" -> Create Grayscale Layer
3. A new pixel layer is created which can be edited with the paint brush in overlay mode
4. Make sure the new pixel layer is not a child layer, move it outside if necessary.
5. Choose "Rasterize to Mask" from the context menu of this pixel layer.
6. Move the new mask where you need it.

This is a very cumbersome way and there is no live preview possible either.
Masks should be treated like pixel layers when it comes to manipulating. You need a live preview. The greyscale layer step should not be necessary.
It is kind of frustrating to see that in two years since I am an Affinity user nothing was improved concerning masks.

• 7 months later...