You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Plugin-Support for Designer

Maybe covered elsewhere in the dungeon of this forum? Are there plans do add plugin-support for Designer? I would love to see the plugin for my Mimaki CG-60SR III cutting plotter working with Designer.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

8 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Maybe covered elsewhere in the dungeon of this forum?

First search result:

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

The date an official member of Serif answered was in December 2016. Nearly three years ago. Maybe they changed their mind?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I'm trying to draw a bit of attention to a very simple API but one that could be really powerful. I believe the more support it gets better the changes we are heard this time.

architect student (5/10) · designer · developer · geek
Affinity Publisher 2.1.1 / Affinity Designer 2.1.1 / Affinity Photo 2.1.1
Windows 11 Pro #22H2 / Dell G15 AMD Ryzen 5 32GB RAM

I would not count with support for any existing plugin for any other app. Adding support for plugins is already hard enough; adding the same support provided by another platform requires an additional layer of code translating what the plugin expects to what the program actually provides and little can be done if there is anything the program cannot/will not support.

When plugins are supported by the Affinity suite, I expect nothing different from it supporting their own set of plugins and providers of existing toolsets may choose to port their code or not. But remember once the door is open others may provide similar or even better extensions.

architect student (5/10) · designer · developer · geek
Affinity Publisher 2.1.1 / Affinity Designer 2.1.1 / Affinity Photo 2.1.1
Windows 11 Pro #22H2 / Dell G15 AMD Ryzen 5 32GB RAM

5 hours ago, Lmpessoa said:

When plugins are supported by the Affinity suite, I expect nothing different from it supporting their own set of plugins

In Affinity Photo we have support for third-party plugins, so I have the hope that plugins can be used one day in Affinity Designer. But I guess with plugin support for Affinity Photo a larger area of potential customers can be attracted. :( But there is a market for all those having e.g. a vinyl cutter and are forced to use either some weird applications or plugins.

------

• 2 months later...
On 12/13/2016 at 5:16 PM, Lee D said:

Hi Peregrin,

We don't have any current plans to add plugin support into Affinity Designer, however this may change in the future. Hopefully as Affinity development continues and it becomes more popular, plugin makers will want to make their plugins compatible with Affinity Photo and work with our developers to achieve this.

Fontself, a plugin to create fonts in Photoshop and Illustrator has contacted Serif back in 2016 itself.

image.png.a5f20fbfec731ed9f4cc713ffe685650.png

Yet, we didn't hear anything +ve from Serif! It's quite sure that there will be more plugin-makers who're interested to extend support for Affinity products.

Linktree | Freebies

Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Affinity Publisher | 1.10.6
Windows 10 Home (64 bit) Version 22H2
Intel i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30 GHz (4 CPUs) | NVIDIA GeForce 940M | Intel HD Graphics 520 | 16GB RAM

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...